We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Midlands
3 posts
Save Topic
First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

Hi everyone.

We have just booked up to stay at the Aldeia Santa Rita for two weeks in March in Candolim. It's our first time to Goa and we're really excited about it.

Me and my partner are going with my Aunt and Uncle as we all get on extremly well, but obviously with it being our first time we were just wondering what the nightlife/bars/restaurants etc are like, and what different excursions there are that we shouldn't miss.

Does anyone know of any gorgeous beaches that we could go to for the day.

Also is it easy enough to get to Calangute and Baga by taxi or bus.

Any information will be GREAT looking forward to hearing from you.

Sarah

Dubai
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

Hi Sarah,

We are on holiday in Goa from 5th Feb 2005, will keep you updated once we get back

UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

Hi Sarah

We've recently returned from a month in Goa (our fourth visit) and are returning on 7th April.

If you'd like to email me at:

goanmad@hotmail.com

I'd be happy to answer any questions and can email you some photos as well.

Vicky (a fellow West Midlands girl)

UK
Level Contributor
181 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

Hi Sarah,

We've just returned from our 12th trip to Goa, this should tell you how good it is. We stayed at the Santa Rita for the first two years, it's a pretty hotel in a quiet setting on a great stretch of beach. Don't be put off by the quiet setting bit, there are loads of taxis right outside the hotel and anywhere in north Goa is in easy reach. For a gorgeous beach, take a taxi to Ashvem for the day, it's about an hour's ride and the driver will wait for you. Ask them to take to to Sea View, it's a restaurant on the beach where you can get sunbeds and the food is great.

For excursions, don't use your tour reps, get in a taxi and go up to the Daytripper office near to Calangute, Eddie is the owner, he does some great trips and they are a lot cheaper than tour company ones.

As for good restaurants, you are spoilt for choice, our favourite is Bon Appetit which is at the end of the beach between the Taj and Fort Aguada hotels. We can also recommend Palm n Sands, the Stonehouse and Flambee, all within a few minutes walk from your hotel.

When you walk to the beach from your hotel, stop at the first shack you come to and say hello to Victor and Godfrey, tell them Colin and Karen sent you and you will get a warm welcome.

Have a great time!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

Hi Sarah

My husband and I went to Candolim at the end of November and loved it so much we are going back on the 17th March. We are also staying at the Aldeia Santa Rita although we stayed at Whispering Palms last time and loved it we could not get in there for the dates we wanted. Restaurants are excellent we had some of the best meals we have ever had anywhere from snacks on the beach and at the Saturday market, where the choice is phenomenal, to Lobster, Tandoori Red snapper not to mention some of the best curries we have ever tasted. Easy and cheap to get to Calangute and Baga (or anywhere else for that matter) by taxi. Candolim beach is great, wave your arm and beer and bacardi breezers appear as if by magic also there are numerous wonderful beaches a short taxi ride away, our favourites were Arambol and Morjum, we also went to Coco beach which has a BBQ on the beach at night and from where you can go and see the dolphins.

Have a wonderful time; may see you there.

Karen

London
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

Hi! Some more first timer questions!!!!!!!

We are two friends travelling to Goa and staying at the Sonesta Inn in Candolim for the first time in February. The tour operator is being very unhelpful, so I was wondering if anyone can help -

My specific questions are -

Will it be hot in the evenings, or will it be wise to take a sweatshirt etc?

Is it safe for two women to walk around alone?

Any advice re malaria? I'm thinking of going homeopathic!

Has anyone done a Taj Mahal excursion with flights from Goa?

Is there anything special you would advice taking or can most things be bought when there?

Thank you - and please bear with me if you have already answered these questions before!!!

Suzy

UK
Level Contributor
181 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

SuzyQ , It's hot in Feb in the evenings, I have always felt safe at night and have no hesitation on walking around on my own. as for malaria, it's up to you, some people take tablets, others don't bother. From experience, mosquitoes are less of a problem in Goa than they were a few years ago, we just take care not to leave doors or windows open as it gets dark and use lots of repellent. I recommend Autan Active spray and Avon Skin So soft body lotion. Using a combination of those in Novemeber, I didn't get a bite for three weeks. Relax and enjoy yourselves.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

hi sarah The hotel your staying in is fantastic stayed there last year and planning to go again this year. The beach is five minutes away whre you can start the day with the best massage ever and then just relax. The sea is amazing, you can just float and get gentle ripples from the waves. If your wanting to see sights take a left turn on the main road and just keep going you will then come across John's trips. These's are fantastic trips and offer something for everyone. a real trip is the market in Auntiga on the saturday evening be sure not to miss this.. If you want any more info just drop me a email lsh13_@hotmail.com

Liverpool
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

Hi, Suzy - me and my partner, have just come back from Goa. we did take maleria tablets - im still taking mine, but my boyfriend stopped taking them after 3 weeks, he had an infection in his eye whilst on holiday and had to seek medical attention, he had to take numerous other drugs and the doctor told him to stop taking his maleria tabs. i asked whether i should continue to take mine and he said to throw them away - there is no maleria in Goa. i carried taking mine anyway, i had paid ��30.00 for them, but we were going again this year and i am not going to take them. Hope this helps. Also, Goa is one of the safeest places in the world, the crime rate is almost non-existent. You will be fine, just stick together.

Liverpool
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

Hi,

Myself and my partner have just come back from Goa, staying at the Aldeia Santa Rita. We went for 2 weeks over Christmas. The hotel was really nice, but be sure for a culture shock when you hit Goa. It is easy enough to get a taxi from Candolim to Calungute/Baga and it will cost around 100rps which is about ��1.20.

Unfortunately, we did not take advantage of the all inclusive at the hotel because we culd not restrict ourselves, there is too much to see and do to stay in one hotel. Try the Stonehouse in Candolim for a delicious meal.

A word of advice, dont eat at Beachshacks that do not have electricty, as this means they dont have a fridge and you are likly to wind up with a tummy upset. Try the beach at night too, the indian people are fantastic. Watch out for the cows in Candolim, they roam freely and can sometimes bolt down the road in a herd, just be careful you dont get knocked by one.

Try Anjuna market on a Wednesday but be sure to book a taxi to take you as early as possible. We went at 8am and by 11/12 it was absolutely heaving and sweltering too. Agree your price with the taxi driver before the trip and dont pay him until he brings you back to the hotel. it costs about 400rps from the Aldiea.

Try the Saturday night market too, this is the hippy market, its great there is music, elephants and culture.. not to be missed.

There are loads of fab beaches, any taxi driver will be happy to tell you about them , take you there, wait all day and bring you back for next to nothing.

You can go on trips to the paddy fields, monkeys and waterfalls, spice plantation, coconut hits on Paolim beach, jungle book and many more.

dont be scared to get out into Goa, we went everywhere, by taxi and by local bus, Goa is really safe, you'll have a ball. We are booking to go back for Christmas 2005.

Andrea - Liverpool

West Midlands
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Goa, staying in Candolim.

WOW!!!!

Thanks everyone for all your info, i'm so excited.

Not long to go now.

Goagirl what's your name we're bound to bump into eachother. We fly back on Sunday 20th March. We can catch a beer with you.

Thanks again everyone really appreciate your reports.

Takecare and happy sunshine to you all.

Sarah

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations