We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April in Goa

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hastings, uk
Level Contributor
913 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
April in Goa

Thinkin of booking 2weeks at the Holiday inn, Mobor beach In April 2010. Do you think that it is a little late in the season? Will things like beach shacks be closed, and will excursions still be running? Would we be better going in March?

This will be our first trip to Goa, this year we went to the Maldives and loved the layed back feel and decided that we would like to see real India.

Also has anyone had any experience of the Holiday Inn?

Sorry for all the questions.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April in Goa

bubbles, we stayed at the Holiday Inn 2 years ago and loved it. However April is the end of the main tourist season and you might find that they are starting to dismantle some of the shacks. I know when Linda was in Cavelossim in April this year she took some photos of the shacks being dismantled. Until the last charter flight departs there should still be some shacks and restaurants open but you might find it very quiet towards the end of your stay. Personally if you can go in March I think you'd be better doing that as the later you get in the season the more the humid it becomes too.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: April in Goa

I agree with Gemma that the last two weeks may be a little too late. The lastest we have got back has been the 16th April and things were really slowing down during our second week and were much quieter. If you can go just two or three weeks earlier it would be better and the humidity would be a killer in late April!

Hastings, uk
Level Contributor
913 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April in Goa

I was thinkin 10th - 24th as 4th April is Easter I was worried about there being a lot of children, not that I mind children but ours are in there early 20s late teens so have been there done that and got the tee shirt(if you know what I mean) ;)

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April in Goa

Went Easter 2008 (first 2 weeks).... everything was open including all the shacks (both in the North & South). It was hot & a little humid, but it didn't bother us. Loved every minute of it & we are going back Easter 2010.

Lot's of bargins to be had at this time as all the shops (and stalls in the market) are getting ready to close, they sell off all ther stock nice & cheap.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April in Goa

We went to Goa for most of April last year and will be going again next year, arriving 1 April leaving 26 April, as far as I remember they were dismantling the shacks in the last week of April but it was busier in 07/08 season so they may close earlier next season. Some restaurants open all year - tourists come down from Mumbai etc. On the other hand Easter is latish next year (first week of April)so it could go either way.... Hmmm what am I trying to say here??? Its obviously quieter then, lots of bargains in the shops as it is late season - very laid back. April in Goa is a lot warmer than March plus a bit more humid, not what I would call really humid but a little more than March as a rule, the later in April the hotter it gets as well.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April in Goa

Hi bubbles 1066

We were lucky enough to go to Cavelossim 3 times last season and throughly enjoyed each trip.

Our trip in April was for the last 2 weeks of the season and everywhere was very much quieter, which we actually liked. As Gemma said the second week we were entertained by watching some of the shacks being dismantled, never a dull moment!

The only down side was that the elections were on and we were unable to buy booze in the supermarkets and it was totally banned in shacks and restaurants for 3 days, not good! Having said that it is Goa and we were well looked after! I'm sure Bruahy will be able to tell you if the elections are on at the same time every year.

It was very hot but I have to say that we found it more humid in the evenings in February.

One disappointment was the beach in April, not as clean as the other times we had gone. The locals were telling us that it was something to do with the changing tides and there was a lot of rubbish being washed ashore.

Whatever you decide I'm sure that you will have a fanatastic time! We certainly did and will definately be going back :-))

Linda

Hastings, uk
Level Contributor
913 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April in Goa

First of all thanks for all your replies, it is good to hear all your views. We won't mind it being quieter in fact we don't like it too busy,just as long as its not dead. We also like the heat so that won't bother us either.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April in Goa

march would be better..

how is hastings ? we lived there before we moved to the wine country of czech rep..

you been to the jali yet..?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April in Goa

Their elections are like ours, not every year so we should be safe next year!

Kent England
Level Contributor
569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: April in Goa

We stayed at the Holiday Inn this year in feb so i cant amswer your first question about april. But we have booked again next year. It is great hotel in a perfect location. we found the food and drink a little expensive compared to the shacks on the beach but still quite seasonable to prices in europe and at home. there are 4 or 5 shacks on the beach outside the hotel they each have a beach party at night great food and entertainment.If you walk into Covelossim along the beach about 20mins there are lots more shacks and the town is a little ferther with lots of very good rest. bars and shops. Outside the hotel there are 4 or 5 very good rest. great food at very good prices we loved Bettys and Riverview. Turn left outside the hotel along the beach and you can walk for about 1 hour to the mouth of the river the beach is desserted apart from 1 shack we would have a gin tonic and watch the dolphins out at sea....Hope this helps answer your question about Holiday Inn Ray

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations