We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diving schools goa

bristol uk
14 posts
Save Topic
diving schools goa

Hi, can anyone recommend any diving schools in Goa? My brother took a course there last year but said that the instructor did not speak English very well or bother to try and explain when he didn't understand - it's our first time diving so slightly nervous at the thought of not understanding instructions. If anyone has any experience of good, professional schools I would appreciate the advice. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diving schools goa

Hi

The Goa Diving School advertises its self as being a PADI school .Thats The Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) .

Suggest that you contact this Association in the UK they are bound to have a web site,and confirm the Qualification of the Goa Diving School.

Its your lives you would be playing with if it was yet another bogus organisation of which there are many here .

Mentioned in this post
Goa diving
Goa diving
109 Reviews
Vasco da Gama, India
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diving schools goa

I would not learn to dive in goa,if you have time go on course here,if you can dive in britain you can dive any where,your first open water dive can be a bit scary so you need to be with a buddy you can trust.

Boston
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: diving schools goa

My wife and I did our PADI Open Water course in Goa,and absolutely enjoyed it! After a bit of research on the net, we decided to do our course with Dive Goa based in Panajim. Their instructor, Ajey made the course so much fun- we had a great time.The dive at the shipwreck was awesome! We were told that we were lucky that the visiblity in Goa was better than average when we did the course.(about 8m). Anyone who talks about doing the course in the UK, doesn't know what it feels like to be in warm water..no wetsuits required, the water was 29 degrees !! After our certification we stayed on to do a trip to Netrani Island in Karnataka, where the diving was phenomenal. I have never seen so many fish in one place!The visibility was at least 20m. I would say you don't need to worry about doing your course in Goa.Both the dive shops we went to looked very well managed.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Dive Goa
Dive Goa
142 Reviews
Candolim, India
Netrani Island
Netrani Island
69 Reviews
Murdeshwar, India
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: diving schools goa

I have been diving for thirty years know,in warm seas and cold seas,all instructors can be very nice,there has been a lot of crash courses for instructors,its when things go wrong you see how good they are,luckely all my mistakes have been in uk and have had good buddys around me,as for not wearing a wet suit the cold can hit you even in warm seas then it can be to late,the instructors in goa are probely ok you seem to have done your homework,im just asking people to be carefull diving not just about looking at pretty fish.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
162 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: diving schools goa

Hi there

Not into diving myself, but there is a Diving School based right next door to where we stay in Bogmalo Beach. It is a genuine PADI Diving School. The person who runs it is called Willy - he's from Scotland and takes people out on his boat (called Sweet Lips) from Bogmalo Beach. He's been going for years, so can't be bad, just sorry I don't have a contact name for him. "English" is not a problem for him!!! I can try and get his contact details if Bogmalo Beach is near to where you are staying?

Cheers

Sandra

Mentioned in this post
Bogmalo Beach
Bogmalo Beach
220 Reviews
Vasco da Gama, India
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: diving schools goa

i have to agree with ASHJAY , Dive Goa is a good school and Ajey the instructor is a great guy and will look after you whatever level you are.

I only got back from Goa yesterday and it was only 5 days ago since i was diving with Ajey.

I gained my open water in Jamaica in crystal clear waters so to be able to add dives in low visibilty to my logbook is a bonus.

Even as an open water diver i still learned a few new things from Ajay he is an excellent instructor and good buddy to dive with, he spent four years working as a dive instructor in the Andaman sea then 2 years ago set up in Goa so he has lots of experiance.

Contact him for info: get.ajey@gmail.com

Take a look the web site

www.divegoa.com

David

Mentioned in this post
Dive Goa
Dive Goa
142 Reviews
Candolim, India
Goa
Goa
India
7. Re: diving schools goa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations