We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria alert !

leeds uk
Level Contributor
952 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria alert !

Hi Everyone,

Cases of malaria in goa have increased almost 100% this year.

If anyone using the forum raises the issue, as we know they will pre-holidays, i have included the link for the news story, it can be found at..

www.navhindtimes.com/articles.php…

ian............

Essex
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria alert !

Ian, you need to bump this article to the top of the goa forum every week or create a sticky regarding the preventing the catching of this dreadful disease called Malaria.

Malaria exists in 100 countries but is mainly confined to poorer tropical areas of Africa, Asia and Latin America. More than 90% of malaria cases and the great majority of malaria deaths occur in tropical Africa. Plasmodium falciparum is the main cause of severe clinical malaria and death. Plasmodium falciparum malarial strain is in Goa.

Talk to a doctor about taking Malarone tablets as it is a prescription only drug, you can read about Malarone and Malaria at :- http://www.malarone.com/

Costs £2.20 approx per daily tablet, quite cheap for preserving life!

NB for all the "Can I get it cheaper in Goa?" brigade the answer is no.

Regards,

Patricia.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,965 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria alert !

And to explode the myth that malaria only occurs during the monsoon season I noticed in the article there was a death in Candolim in March/April.

p.s. I also hope the BMA don't change the advice this season. As last season they downgraded the risk at the start of January only to reverse it days later due to malaria cases in the CCB area which caused no end of confusion for both travellers and medics giving advice.

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria alert !

Anyone any ideas whats the latest on the vaccine the boffins are supposed to be close to creating ??

cheers Lyn x

Essex
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria alert !

For your info Lynn, just a bit of inside info....

The expected date for a vaccine for prevention of Malaria could be out in 4 years. It is being developed by GlaxoSmithKline the manufacturer of Malarone.

Regards,

Patricia.

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria alert !

Thanks for that Pat - what a shame it has taken so long - think of all the lives it could /should save

cheers

Lyn

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria alert !

I know of a Brit who always spends the winter in Goa. Depite taking the recommended dose of local chloroquinine, he contracted malaria on his return, and was very ill. He has been told that it will be in his system for the rest of his life.

He also used lots of repellent, so it shows that everyone is at risk. I cannot take the tablets they advise in the UK, so it will be malarone for me as well. I do not grudge the money for the tablets, it is the £24 my GP charges for the private prescriptions for my wife and I, that really annoys me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria alert !

The Health Protection Agency were claiming that people presenting with malaria in the UK were surfacing as early as January this year after visiting north Goa (I looked into it for a trip to Kerala in Feb).

I think it's vital that anyone visiting the area takes precautions and not just odomos!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,965 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria alert !

In the past Mrs Jock had side effects with one of the malaria tablets (I can't remember which one) but now takes Malarone with absolutely no side effects Jnr Jock (aged 9) also takes paediatric malarone again with no problems. (Bumping for twinkletoes)

Derby, England
Level Contributor
372 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria alert !

To be honest I can't believe that people take the risk as a friend of mine contracted in and it's not nice at all.

10. Re: Malaria alert !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations