We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best beach shacks in South Goa

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
The best beach shacks in South Goa

I am currently staying in South Goa in the Holiday Inn Resort and felt obliged to recommend a new beach shack found after much searching in South Benaulim. Anyone who has experienced Goa will know that finding a good beach shack can be a bit of a lottery and to find an exceptional one is worthy of comment.

The shack concerned is the 'HOLY FISH' and it can be found by taking the beach road off of the main Colva to Mobor road opposite the Shop & Save Supermarket. This road is signposted to the Taj Exotica complex....it gets smaller and more winding but pass the entrance to the complex and carry on to the beach. The HOLY FISH is actually on the beach to the right about 50m.

The shack is owned and run by (Nepalese) Candan and his (Russian) wife Varya. His staff including Moby and Sagar are the most pleasant, friendly and cheerful that we encountered on our holiday but it is the food and drink that make this the shack not to be missed.

The menu is extensive and cosmopolitan as is the drinks menu but it is the fish and seafood which make this place so very special...red snapper, kingfish and pomfret are notable. This is also the only shack that we found to serve real espresso coffee.

Every evening after the glorious sunset, a screen is planted on the beach and a movie is shown. If you are planning a trip to South Goa, be sure not to miss this gem.

You can email HOLY FISH on HOLYFISH@POST.COM

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

Thanks for sharing this with us. We're going to the Holiday Inn in February, which shacks would you recommend that are close to the hotel? Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,448 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

Hope you are having a great trip, thanks for the tip will check out the Holy Fish in March :-)

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,448 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

From where you describe it is I guess you could also get to it if you walked from the main beach car park in Benaulim for about 10/15 mins along the beach (turning left if you are facing the sea)

Wing
Level Contributor
181 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

Hi Goanjock

Yes you are right. you can walk along the beach from the main car park in Benaulim or if driving turn right at Holy Trinity Church and go straight until you reach the beach and then its only a few minutes to the left. We find this route the best as the road from Shop'n'save can be stressful with the taxis and coaches and the road itself is very bad from the Taj onwards. On that area near Holy Fish is Sun'n Moon which is a good place to eat again with lovely staff and great food.

We walk the beach every morning with our dog and the friendly beach dogs!

Coco

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

Hi Gemma, whilst at H.I. we tried Betty's shack and Mikes and of the two, we found Betty's to be the better. There is also the H.I.s own shack on the beach and we found this to be expensive and unspecial. We hired a scooter and went further afield largely. Of the nearby restaurants we tried, just out of the gate and turn right, are Betty's and Fishermans Wharf. F.W. has the best location on the river but we found it to be expensive and not brilliant. Betty's on the other hand was more comfortable and relaxed with excellent reasonably-priced food. Enjoy your trip and ignore the reviews of Holiday Inn that slag it off....its a great base for a holiday with real friendly staff.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

Best beach shack in Goa. That is a good question. So much so I hereby vow to try and visit everyone as my lifes mission. I will and my liver allowing post my ideall shack in say 20 years time.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

Thanks very much for the info CalifornianMan. I've already been on the Betty's website (thanks to Goanjock) and downloaded a copy of their menu so definitely planning on eating there. Glad you liked the Holiday Inn, the last review I read wasn't that good so it's reassuring to hear that you found it ok. Only 6 weeks and 4 days to go and I can't wait!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,448 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

6 weeks 3 days now Gemma :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

Hey CalifornianMan!

I was trying to e-mail this beach shack, but the address HOLYFISH@POST.COM isn't valid. Any idea how to get in contact with the owner?

And generally I find it next to impossible to get in touch with any guest- house or beach hut owners, since they don't seem to offer the service of online booking, most don't even have phone numbers listed. Since we are 4 people going to Goa over New Year, we really want to book in advance. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks, any advice is much appreciated.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,448 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best beach shacks in South Goa

The beach shacks mentioned on these thread are actually beach restaurants where in Goa are you hoping to stay? for guest houses in Cavelossim have a look at www.palmgroveresidencygoa.com and www.saodomingosgoa.com and for huts if you put beach huts into the search box you will find details. I know there are details of Madhu huts in Agonda and also Romance huts in Agonda. Hope that helps a little.