We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson flight delay

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Thomson flight delay

The Gatwick to Goa flight due to arrive on Sat. 14th Feb was delayed by 32 hours due to fog at Dabolim and being diverted to Mumbai. What was appalling however were the events that followed and the dreadful handing of the situation by Thomson. Even worse, they are not accepting responsibility for any of it.

On landing at Mumbai we were left sitting in the plane on the tarmac for eight hours! There was no food on board, and by the end water was being rationed. The only "food" provided all day were bags of sweets. By the end many passengers were distressed and just wanted to go home. Some were feeling unwell, and there were quite a few children on board as it was half term week. We got very little information, with the crew saying they did not know what to do and were waiting for decisions from Thomson in the UK. In the meantime two other fights that were also redirected took off quickly for Goa once the fog had lifted (Monarch and a charter flight from Moscow).

We were finally told what we all knew was inevitable - we were to be put in hotels that night in Mumbai. The following process was complete chaos - a leaderless herd of passengers following each other around the airport looking for someone from Thomson to take charge of the situation and to provide some information. Eventually we found someone outside the airport who got us to hotels in batches using one coach. He was from a Mumbai-based agency.

It was a horrible, stressful experience that could not have been handled any more badly. What was even more insulting is that all passengers were given a letter on arrival in Goa the next day (we did not leave Mumbai until almost 3pm, ruining another day of our holiday). It basically stated that Thomson was not to blame for the 32 hour delay, and offered no apology. It simply stated that we should contact our insurance companies if we wanted compensation. Mine is not interested, and has said I should take it up with Thomson.

I lost 2 days of my 7-day holiday, and needed another two to get into anything approaching a holiday mood. When I had finally relaxed I got my departure details shoved under my door by the Thomson rep. hoping I'd had a lovely time.

Thomson seemed to prioritise avoiding admitting responsibility and trying to avoid additional costs over the well-being of their passengers or providing support. They also failed to be responsive in a timely manner in making a decision to allow us off the plane. A horrible experience for all concerned which revealed real problems with the way Thomson operate.

Any comments or shared experiences of fellow passengers welcome!

Dorset
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Thomson flight delay

I did wonder why the Monarch flight managed to fly on to Goa whilst TOM 052 was unable to due to the crew being out of flying time, allegedly. You may get a better response on the Air Travel Forum. There was a post on the Goa Forum on 15/16th about fog at Dabolim.

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Thomson flight delay

This is another sad tale which goes to show why the charter airlines are curtailing their activities to Goa. They don't need the hassle, and have diverted their resources elsewhere.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
3. Re: Thomson flight delay

HI,

We were also on the flight and going to a wedding as a result of the delays we missed the first day of celebration of the wedding then had to get domestic flights from Mumbai to Goa to make sure we got to the wedding ceremony in time. Good job we did because if we would have stayed with Thomson we would have missed the ceremony.

Thomson were Absolutely shocking and showed no duty of care to their passengers and there is no way i would ever fly with them again.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4. Re: Thomson flight delay

That sounds horrific. 8hrs on the tarmac in Mumbai on top of the 9hr flight , I would have been suicidal and ready to kill. Can't believe Thomson didn't have a pre agreed plan of action for this situation, won't be the first or last time it will happened. Was possibly out of their control when you were on the ground in Mumbai with the port authorities being difficult. However should have got their shizzle together once you were airside. Not good.

Hope you enjoyed what was left of the rest of your week.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
5. Re: Thomson flight delay

That sounds horrific. 8hrs on the tarmac in Mumbai on top of the 9hr flight , I would have been suicidal and ready to kill. Can't believe Thomson didn't have a pre agreed plan of action for this situation, won't be the first or last time it will happened. Was possibly out of their control when you were on the ground in Mumbai with the port authorities being difficult. However should have got their shizzle together once you were airside. Not good.

Hope you enjoyed what was left of the rest of your week.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
6. Re: Thomson flight delay

There does seem to be a pattern regarding Thompson holidays and the lack of customer service . My partner and I had a similar experience on our return flight from phuket in November with a 24hr delay ( I can only describe as being herded around phuket airport like cattle, and not a Thompson rep insite) . There is a new EU law regarding delays if you have departed from the UK .or travelling to the UK .

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
98 reviews
7. Re: Thomson flight delay

Hi!

I am still here in Candolim and was also on the same flight. I have lodged my complaint with Thomson in Goa and will follow this up with Thomson on my return next week. I have a lot more to say as I was in conversation with the captain on several occasions during our 8 hour stay on the Tarmac at Mumbai! I will also highlight all the issues I have, including data protection laws they broke! They have lied and there is already a solicitor on the case!! I will not take this laying down and if I do not get a decent compensation to cover the loss of 2 days holiday and the exceptionally poor customer service, I will no longer use Thomson after over 10 years of using them! I will, along with several other clients who were on this flight, do everything we can to highlight what has happened!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Thomson flight delay

Let's share information here - I think Thomson need to step up and accept responsibility on this one.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
9. Re: Thomson flight delay

You are not entitled to compensation per se.

If the aircraft was registered in EU (Check the tail fin) then Regulation EC261/2004 will apply to the delay.

This entitles pax to a "right to care" free of charge. Meals and refreshments in relation to the waiting time, hotel accommodation (which you got albeit late).

You were also entitled (under Article 8) to refund for the part of the journey not made AND a return flight to your departure (LGW) at the first opportunity OR rerouting to your final destination at the earliest opportunity. IF you were not offered any of these then Thomson are in breach of the 'Law'. They must also advise you of your rights under this Regulation and if , as seems likely, they did not, then they are guilty of further breaches of the regulation.

So everyone affected, advise your Solicitor of this regulation and, yes, it applies to Charters too. Don't let Thomson get away with this.

Edited: 2:41 pm, February 27, 2015
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
98 reviews
10. Re: Thomson flight delay

I am aware of the law as I am currently going through a case against jet2.com already after an 8 hour delay with them! I already have the EU letter agreeing my entitlement and now taking them to court!! With Thomsons, it is not only this, but the lack of customer service, lack of communication and the lies that have been given to us. You say refreshments!! We were sat on the Tarmac for 8 hours with 1 drink and a packet of crisps and on the return given nothing except breakfast at 9am and we landed at 4.30pm!! That maybe good enough for you but not for the 288 people that were involved in this Carry On!!