We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malarone or chloroquine/proguanil? Not cost related!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Malarone or chloroquine/proguanil? Not cost related!

I've seen inflicting advice on which malaria tablets to take in goa. We're only there for 4 days, and our GPs nurse recommended the c/p tablets but she didn't fill me confidence when she discussed this with me, and I thought I'd look at the buying them on travelpharm.co.uk, only to see that they are suggesting that the recommendations for India including goa are changing as c/p is deemed less effective there now.

Malarone looks more attractive from a side effects point of view, but less in terms of cost, but were not so worried about the cost as I had based my budget on malarone anyway. A colleague of mine has also just left for India and goa, and I'm sure she was recommended malarone as well. Unfortunately I don't have time to wait and check with her.

Is malarone better than c/p?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Malarone or chloroquine/proguanil? Not cost related!

Similar here Robbie. We got ours done today at asda - same prices as you. Really easy conversation, no appointment necessary.

Our gp nurse was going to give up a private prescription for £17 each, so we're really happy with the asda deal.

The pharmacist was really good. I asked her about the conflicting advice on the tablets and she said it has just changed - malarone is now recommended for goa instead of c/p as our gp's nurse had said. Might be a lot more expensive than the c/p tablets but it's a shorter Course and the side effects are more acceptable to us.

london
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Malarone or chloroquine/proguanil? Not cost related!

well done pdej4

exactly the same as you,

one less thing to worry about now.roll on 2 weeks

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Malarone or chloroquine/proguanil? Not cost related!

Happy holidays to you all. :-)) Gel

Edinburgh, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Malarone or chloroquine/proguanil? Not cost related!

the confusion is probably down to recent changes in recommendation due to increased reporting of falciparum malaria in goa (which can be resistant to chloroquine/proguanil). Perhaps the practice nurse was not aware of this.

Malarone is currently recommended as your best option: www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk

it can be obtained without a prescription/prescribed by some pharmacists in tesco/asda/boots or in Superdrug, by the travel health nurse.

25. Re: Malarone or chloroquine/proguanil? Not cost related!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 26, 2014