We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Just been reading previous posts and wanted to check that I will need to buy rupees on arrival in India and cannot bring them into the country? Thanks

Manchester
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

According to the letter of Indian law you are not supposed to take IRs in or out. Personally, I never change back any Rupees "left over" and bring them back on my next visit without any hassle-thus far anyway!

From other posts that I have read it would seem that some travel agents do offer to supply IRs-but usually at a pretty poor rate, doubtless related to the above,

If I were travelling to Goa for the first time I would like a few rupees in my pocket to avoid getting them at the airport-also at a poor rate! I have never been asked if I had any Indian Currency on me or to show the contents of my wallet!

Keith

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

The first "legal" opportunity to get IRs will be the exchange booths at the airport but the rate is very poor. If you are have a hotel transfer with your tour operator you will not need any ruppees until you arrive in your resort where you will find a better rate and plenty of exchanges. If you wish to tip the airport porters they will be happy with £ coins.

UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

I am just wondering what is the best way getting currency in Goa?

It seems to me that there are several options; Travellers cheques, withdrawals by debit card from ATMs(are there many available?) or to take sterling notes and change them when needed.

Which method gives the best exchange rate?

Which method is the safest?

What do most people do?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards to everyone.

Chester le Street
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Just back from Goa this week, the exchange rate on Sunday 10th was 84 rupees to the pound. I have being on holiday in Goa many times over the years, and only take sterling which is always kept in the hotel security locker. Exchange can be done in most shops, we always used one or two of the same shops which we know. Only exchanging the money we need for each day as the rate is up and down daily.

I you are planing to return to Goa for another holiday, we alway bring back to the UK,£20 or £30 in rupees. ( Who to know )

Dennis.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,747 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

spike, I prefer the security of travellers cheques though my partner always takes sterling. You do sometimes get half a rp less for changing TCs, though some days I got the same rate as OH.

There are ATMs in Goa, depending where you are staying, though some of them charge for withdrawals and you may be charged by your UK bank too, depending on your account. Remember to let your bank know if you are planning on using your debit or credit card in Goa.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

Hi I called in at the bank yesterday and was told that the rupee is a 'closed currency' . I will take up suggestions of having £coins for initial tips, and a mixture of £Tcs and sterling to change whilst there

Thanks to everyone for info and advice,

Brenda

midlands
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

to be honest, even though you get charged at some cashpoints for withdrawing cash, the exchange rate is better than you will get in the street.

used atms for the last 10 years and never had an issue.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency

Call me an old meanie, but a quid is a very significant tip at the airport when you look at the relative costs in India. No wonder they are happy! Do, for instance, you tip airport porters at UK airports? I have, in common with most other travellers, wheeled luggage so do not require the services of a porter at any airport.

However, if you are travelling by train in India, do use one of the red uniformed porters there if only for the experience of seeing them haul all your luggage onto their heads and then weave their way at speed through crowded train stations!

Good advice only to change small amounts of sterling as you need it. Always count the money carefully, especially until you are familiar with the currency. Like Gemma1, I use a mixture of travellers cheques and sterling. You will need to take your passport the first time you exchange travellers cheques - the money changer will take a photocopy and record your passport details, saving them for subsequent visits. No such formalities with cash.

midlands
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency

i look at it like this.

if i take £1000 in cheques or cash,

i dont fancy carrying around or leaving £1k in the safety deposit ox/room safe.

if i change a tc at the hotel i get a low rate, if i change it out in resort i need to wander round with my passport.

id sooner pay a fiver for every £300 i take out of the atm and get a slightly better rate from the bank than any of the above 2.

UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency

Thankyou to everyone who responded to my question regarding the best way to get currency in Goa-the replies are really useful.

Also,it is possible to get Indian Rupees in the UK- two places I've found in the Westfield Centre in Derby are; Kanoo and Eurochange and both these have outlets nationwide. The rate they offer is only 74rupees to the pound(as opposed to around 83 in Goa), but for me it'll be worth getting a few quids worth just to have a few in my pocket when I arrive(and probably avoid having to queue at the airport). Hope this helps.

Kind regards to everyone.