We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

Apparently Goa is now a higher risk area for malaria so in view of the above now being stated on many sites/online pharmacies is anyone still planning on taking them? Lets face it, it was the cheap option for protection with the alternative being expensive Malarone although I won't miss popping so many pills!

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

Already a post on this Stalex,

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k5…

It's all a bit confusing .

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

Some sites say Malerone shouldn't be taken for more than one month too. Already bought P&A and it's only three weeks since doctor recommended them so we'll be taking for this year. Next year who knows. What do you take if you're staying long term ? Some countries don't recommend anti malarials at all and just treat the Malaria if you get it. Spoke to a guy from Switzerland last year and that was the case there.

Edited: 6:21 am, December 10, 2012
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

I get ribboned by the mozzies so I'll be taking the OH's Malarone that she didn't use last year. Don't know what she'll do though.

northwest
Level Contributor
449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

Oh No, not more to add to the costs of getting to Goa. What with the 2 envelopes for posting the visas back now, and the cost of Malarone. Its seriously adding up.

Will have to read up on this one.

Thanks for the info.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

travel doctor still says p and c just scare mongering i think

england
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

Both travel doctor and fit for travel showing p and c. Both malaria and dengue fever are on the increase, so folk need to take precaution . At least 50 percent deet spray, and plugs in in your rooms. There is a 100 percent deet you can buy on amazon but a little dangerous applying to skin.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

Sod that chelseawolves I'll stick with Odomos it works for me.

znojmo
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

50 per cent deet doesn,t offer more protection than 12 per cent odomos. The lower percent reppellants need to be applied a little more frequently. I have never been bitten using odomos though nothing works for everyone. Some people get bitten what ever they apply.

but yes, a good idea to make not getting bitten your number 1 priority. There are no pills for dengue.

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

it doesn`t really matter if this has been posted already it is Important

I have been posting about this for a long time I was very ill with P C so I tried Malarone not much better so I have been in Goa 2 times with only using Odomos and Avon Skin so Soft It is really quite worrying for anyone on meds like me as they are not really compatible with antimalarials I am going to ask my doc

and Doxycycline is not much better because you are advised to stay out of the SUN ??

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paludrine/Avloclor no longer recommended for Goa!!!!

Good points Jeanette, the OH can't take any without really bad side effects like hallucinations, insomnia, nightmares when she can sleep and stomach cramps and nausea.

Get answers to your questions about Goa