We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good shacks in Candolim

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Good shacks in Candolim

Although we've been to Goa many times its a long time since we stayed at Candolim. Last year when visiting Candolim for the day we walked down Seaside Road looking for a bed. The beach shack guys on the left became more aggressive than usual in selling their sunbeds - and in the end we took what seemed to be a decent spot near to the sea. Within an hour the sunbed lads brought more beds down into the already well packed area and we were surrounded by other people so close that we couldn't move our sunbed around! We had enough and moved further along the beach (at a cost of course!).

We are staying at Silver Sands Hideaway, but don't mind walking further along the beach to find a decent place with good food, clean toilet and if we're lucky a shower - away from the busier shacks near Seaside Road.

We have never paid for beds on Baga beach but the two we tried that day charged us. Got the feeling we were been ripped off!

Be grateful for any recommendations please

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

Hi

Just go directly in a straight line from your hotel to the beach, crossing the main road by the market and going down the paths alongside the football pitch, and you will come to lots of shacks that are far less busy (= more friendly) than the ones at the end of Beach Road or the other main access roads.

Manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

Everyone has their own personal preference, and for me it has to be VJ's Shack.

If you walk down to the beach inbetween Whispering Palms / Sunset Beach Resort, go down to the end of the road, and take the beach path down to the right, it's on the right as you get down to the bottom of the path. More or less over looking the River Princess, with the Lifeguard station to the right of it.

Very friendly, and not pushy, will do anything to help you out, including taking your towels to wash and put out on a bed for you the next day, or whenever you're back.

As it's on the boarder with Sinquerim, it's a lo quieter and chilled out. Although, you do still get sellers and kids performing circus tricks very now and then.

I've tried a few, but VJ's Shack is my personal favourite.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g297604-…

Edited: 8:38 am, January 05, 2012
Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

I very rarely visit the Candolim area,but last year we ended up in Vj's shack.We had lunch there and it has to be the worst meal i have ever had in Goa.I ordered a prawn curry and it tasted like an Asda packet curry sauce mix with a few prawns thrown in.My wife just had a plate of chips and they were basicaly inedible.But everyone to their own......

John

Kirkwall, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

Try Ryans shack next door to VJs. I spent the day there on Monday & wasn't once approached by any sellers. Good food too & clean toilet - get the key from the bar. Enjoy!

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

Monicas.

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

I second Monicas.Great food nice people.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,671 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

Good food and company at Sea and Sand , halfway between beach road and River Princess ( if it's still there). Shacks in this area not too busy and nearer the sea than Beach Road shacks.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

Thanks for all the advice, I take it that the beds are free as long as you eat? I used to use that end of the beach years ago, but a lot of the beach has gone now with River Princess, hope it returns to its former glory when its finally removed.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,671 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

Yeah Kristie , we don't pay for sun beds. As you say if you don't eat and drink they will charge.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good shacks in Candolim

Laurencio's or the Boat Shack for me. Both excellent.

Laurencio's is so clean, fabulous, cant wait to get back there :)