We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which beaches to base?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
which beaches to base?

We'll have our first Goa visit this early April and have a hard time picking which beaches to base (not to mention which hotels to stay!). We want a split of North and South Goa for a balance of relaxing beach stay as well as a bit of busy side of Goan life. May I have some recommendations based on quality of beach as well as local environment? How about around Colva/Benaulim in the South and around Candolim/Baga in the North?

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Colva
Colva
South Goa District, India
Benaulim
Benaulim
Salcette, India
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Baga
Baga
North Goa District, India
Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which beaches to base?

the stretch of beach from Baga to Candolim is now virtually ruined with sun beds and shades every few feet, but if you want to people watch and have a very varied chhoice of shacks you may enjoy, further north is Anjuna and Vagator. Beyond those and over the river Chapora are Morjim beach Mandrem beach and Aswem all fabulous beaches with a few beds and shades and shacks - more chilled and a little less touristy. Further south can only talk of Majorda which is a lovely beach with Benbatalim and Uttorda, Colva and Varca, basically the closer you are to a town/resort the busier the beach. Further south I am no expert but there are people on this forum GOANJOCK for instance who will be able to give you plenty of advice regarding this area/ Hotels choices are so many you must make up your own mind, just dont go all inclusive as the food outside is so much cheaper and often far nicer/

Enjoy your holiday and remember there is quite a bit more to Goa than beaches

Mentioned in this post
Baga
Baga
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Anjuna
Anjuna
Bardez, India
Vagator
Vagator
Chapora Beach
Chapora Beach
224 Reviews
Arpora, India
Morjim Beach
Morjim Beach
692 Reviews
Morjim, India
Mandrem Beach
Mandrem Beach
729 Reviews
Mandrem, India
Majorda
Majorda
Colva
Colva
Varca
Varca
Goa
Goa
India
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,828 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which beaches to base?

Stayed in Candolim in November and really enjoyed it. As Goanluv said the beach is busy but not as busy as Calungute which we only walked through but seemed really manic - I was glad we weren't staying there. Loads of nice restaurants in Candolim and loved watching the people, cows and dogs on the beach. Thought we'd try the south next year so have booked to go to Mobor Beach as that sounds a bit quieter without being too quiet and Goanjock certainly seems to enjoy it there.

Hope you have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Mobor Beach
Mobor Beach
156 Reviews
Salcette, India
Leicester
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which beaches to base?

I personally prefer the north to the south as it alot busier with much to see and do. The south is more resort based and once in a resort you could be in any country in the western world..it just doesnt feel like youre in India.

I love Calangute in the North...the beach is very busy with Locals, but its great for people watching and enjoying Indian life. Its only a short walk to Baga and Candolim beaches, which is great to do at sunset. Calangute also has the best Restaurants and the people are very friendly and welcoming.

I would definately not go all inclusive, the variety, quality and cost of food in Goa is the best I have experienced. You would not get the same experience in an all inclusive resort.

The standard of hotels in the north is lower, most are 2* but i recommend a 3* if you want air conditioning. I recently stayed at the Horizon in Calangute which has a great location. I think Baga and Candolim offer a better choice of hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Calangute
Calangute
Baga
Baga
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Goa
Goa
India
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which beaches to base?

Based on the few replies to my enquiries on room availability, I'm now considering Sonesta Inns in Candolim and Longuinhos Beach Resort in Colva. They appears (checking further) to be on beachfront or have direct access to beaches. Does anybody have any comments (positive & negative) on them?

Mentioned in this post
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Colva
Colva
India
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which beaches to base?

Longuinhos Beach Resort is a lovely place to stay. Good rooms , good service and good food. The beach is beautiful and it close to the hotel aswell. Am sure you will Love it ..Enjoy your stay.

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which beaches to base?

walked through sonestas inn onto the beach, enquired in reception about various things and the hotel and grounds are really lovely

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which beaches to base?

Having read the responses received so far, I'm quite relieved. What pending now is the confirmation from the two agents regarding my booking. Snail pace, it is!