We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Goa

Visa so difficult.

UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
Visa so difficult.
Save

Are the Indian government trying to discourage tourism? I begin to wonder with the problems I am having in completing the visa application!

The vsf site doesn't work properly. I can see no way to add an extra person so have had to make two separate applications. I will not risk opening the site the link to print my application takes me to - both firefox and ie warn it is not safe. My local photograph shop wants £5.99 per 2"x2" photo.... Arrrgh!! I see Max Speilmann would be cheaper but, by the time I have paid for the petrol and parking, the local shop might not be much more expensive.

I have two questions. Where do I post the application, Birmingham (my nearest place or Hayes? Also, I see many people mentioning postal orders but there is a charge for these, will a cheque do? Thanks for any advice.

UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
11. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

Thanks Igirl, sorted. ;)

Durham
Level Contributor
359 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
12. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

If you have alresdy printed the form go back to site and click on "retrieve and reprint application form".

You shouls see a box to enter GBRL number and date of birth.

Good luck.

UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
13. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

Thanks but when I click on that link I get this message:

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect

securely to www.indianvisaonline.gov.in, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,

sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are

going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to

this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is

trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

Technical Details

www.indianvisaonline.gov.in uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is not trusted.

The certificate is only valid for indianvisaonline.gov.in.

(Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)"

Looks a bit risky to me.

I Understand the Risks

Holland
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
4 reviews
11 helpful votes
14. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

I'm pretty sure the site has been compromised in some way..

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
15. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

I emailed them about the security of the site as below inc their reply (I'm still not convinced)

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2010 1:40 AM

To: Info on India Visa in UK

Subject: Fwd: help with security of application

Further to my email below I attach a snapshot of the web page as described.

Regards

-----Original Message-----

To: info.inuk@vfshelpline.com

Sent: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 19:47

Subject: help with security of application

Dear Sirs

I have tried opening the visa application form for India on your site, a page opens saying that the site is not secure, this is the web address used: https://www.indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa when used it says 'Certificate Error: Navigation Blocked

Below is a copy of the exact wording as seen:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Click here to close this webpage.

Continue to this website (not recommended).

More information

· If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.

· When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.

· If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

This is of great concern, can you please advise how I should proceed with applying for a visa, as i obviously do not wish to put the personal details required and online payment if not secure.

Regards

THEIR REPLY:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your query,

The website and the online form are secure and you can fill the online application form which is designed by the government of India and certified by the authorities. If you experience any problem in filling the online application form then you can submit the handwritten application form.

Please find attached the visa application form for your application. Please ensure that all columns of the application form are correctly filled in BLOCK LETTERS and BLACK INK and signed. Incomplete application forms will not be accepted. If any field is not applicable, fill it as “not applicable” or “NA”.

Please note - In view of the spread of the Swine Influenza A (H1N1) all passengers traveling to India will be screened at the International Airports in India on their arrival. This will also involve quarantine and even hospitalization, if detected, with any symptoms connected with the flu.

Best Regards,

Abhishek Krishnan

Information Service Desk

VF Services (UK) Limited

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
12,580 posts
166 reviews
115 helpful votes
16. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

Hi again peckedhen. It is the "Quick link" side that is not working.

If you go through the link on the left hand side "All about your visas" then click on tourist visa. Click on Application form at the top. In the first paragraph go to "click here" and the option you require should come up.

Anyway, the link is here.

www.indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/Reprint.jsp

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
45 reviews
49 helpful votes
17. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

So can we all just pretend the online apllication is problematic ( for those having serious issues with the process) and submit hand written forms again?

UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
18. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

Thanks Igirl. I can't get through the website but your link works just fine.;)

UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
19. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

Posted today so fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
20. Re: Visa so difficult.
Save

Surprised nobody has mentioned payment by credit card. I have always used this method since the online applications was introduced. No fee charged either.