We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washed passport

mcr
Level Contributor
363 posts
17 reviews
21 helpful votes
Washed passport

My passport went through the wash .

British badge on cover as gone and stamps inside from Thailand and Vietnam have run.

Been to Spain Greece and Holland with no problems but a bit concerned travelling to India in 5 weeks just applied for visa.

Anyone's thoughts on this as left a bit late to order a new one and may complicate visa

12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
31 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Washed passport

So long as the chip is readable by the scanner at the airport and no damage to your picture, you should be fine.

Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
358 posts
12 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Washed passport

I had exactly the same issue with my passport, flew into Mumbai with e-visa and had a bit of a hassle at immigration. The immigration guy was not happy with my passport, in the end after much delay a senior immigration supervisor was called. I said I had no problems anywhere else and UK officials were happy with my passport. Eventually was allowed through, but it was over an hour of worry.

If you can get a new passport, or you could find you are refused entry.

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala, India
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
128 reviews
97 helpful votes
3. Re: Washed passport

I have copied the following from HM Passport Office website:

>>>4. Definition of a damaged passport

A damaged passport is one which isn’t in a condition to be accepted as proof of identity. Damage may include the following:

details are indecipherable

the laminate has lifted enough to allow the possibility of photo substitution

discolouration to the bio-data page

chemical or ink spillage on any page

missing or detached pages

the chip or antenna shows through the end paper on the back cover for the new style e-passports

the chip has been identified as damaged after investigation<<<

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
14 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Washed passport

No way I would travel to India with a damaged passport it’s impossible to predict what an immigration official may decide to big a risk

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Washed passport

Just received my new passport and only took 9 days inc a weekend, so why take a chance on being turned away.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
7,203 posts
119 reviews
116 helpful votes
6. Re: Washed passport

As you have already applied for your Visa using the damaged passport you'd have to apply and pay again if you got a new one. Looks like you have decided to take the risk any way. Applying for a replacement passport online is easy and has been said it usually takes less than 2 weeks.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,962 posts
38 reviews
66 helpful votes
7. Re: Washed passport

I know this is India, but Goa and Dabolim airport is full of officious power crazy immigration personnel . I've rubbed shoulders with them a couple of times. Frankly, I wouldn't take the chance, get your passport replaced while you still can. You know it makes sense. You still here? Get the ball rolling.lol.

BOB.....

North West England...
Level Contributor
342 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Washed passport

If they accept the condition of your passport and grant you a visa I would still apply for a new passport

You can then take both passports with you it's what people do when their UK passport expires but their visa is still valid

mcr
Level Contributor
363 posts
17 reviews
21 helpful votes
9. Re: Washed passport

Thanks for the reply problem o have is I travel to Belgium next week and cannot reapply for a new passport til after then.

Say passport takes 2 weeks this only Leave a 3 weeks til I travel to India. Would this be enough time to reapply for a new visa . Thanks

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
25 reviews
54 helpful votes
10. Re: Washed passport

Three weeks is enough time to get an Evisa, if that suits your purpose. Its better you avoid the risk of problems at Indian immigration. If you are sent back, you will end up losing a lot more than planned.

Reply to: Washed passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted