We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes

Newsatle upon tyne
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Snakes

Have anyone seen wild snakes in calegunte

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Snakes

Wild drunks yes.

Wild snakes are very unlikely in calangute as it's so built up, the odd small snake can be found in vegetation but very rare, just leave them alone and don't attempt to catch them.

If you want to see snakes in the wild you will have to travel inland or visit the ghats.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Snakes

I have heard that one shoudn't ride a bicycle on the roads where there are fields either side, because it sometimes leads to snake bites. This is because the snake does not hear you coming (unlike walking) and it therefore tends to attack, as it gets spooked when the cycle suddenly turns up.

Edited: 4:23 am, September 07, 2018
Lowestoft
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Snakes

Candolim may be different to Galangute but yes I have seen snakes but only 3 times over 17yrs but one was in my neighbours appartment so the snake catcher was called, took it away & released it back to the country. As said IF you see them leave them alone & they will go away.

Newsatle upon tyne
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Snakes

Thanks for your replies .i am frightened of snakes and many people have said you will come across them in goa .i will not let my guard down now .

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
86 reviews
5. Re: Snakes

I'm frightened of snakes too, though I've seen more snakes in Greece than I have in Goa. I'm sure you will be fine.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Snakes

I've seen a few snakes but that was in the country side. Nope in the towns though. Well apart from one with a snake charmer in Margao. lol.

BOB.....

Lowestoft
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Snakes

Please don't be worried about the snakes. The many years of 2/3 week holiday's I had in Goa I don't think I ever saw one. It was not until I was lucky enough to spend 5 mths each year in Goa that I started to notice things, You seem to spend a lot of time watching the world go by & you start seeing lots of wild life. I saw a whole family of Mongeese, mum,dad & cubs & they say if you see a Mongoose a snake will be near by & yes I saw the snakes. Over the years I saw many things. Fruit Bats, lots of fantastic birds, Monkey's, wild Boar, wild Peacocks, Lizards , my friend was convinced she saw a Black Pather but we missed it plus we saw the Crocodile while on a boat trip so lots of things to see IF you look out for them but on a holiday you don't tend to do that you just enjoy your holiday. Remember that most countries in the world have snakes with maybe the exception of Ireland as St Patrick chashed them all out. :-) Enjoy your stay.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
777 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Snakes

As Joe, I have seen snakes in the road or crossing the road, but we stay in a very rural location. I do not think that there is anything to be frightened of and as far as I am aware snakes will generally keep themselves to them selves unless they feel threatened.

I'm sure you will have a very good holiday.

Reply to: Snakes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted