We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday cash

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
holiday cash

I'm travelling to Goa in November, being picked up at the airport and taken to a yoga retreat in the middle of nowhere. I just seen that I can't take rupees into India. I need to pay the yoga retreat when I arrive.

I don't like to travel without at least some cash, what would people suggest?

Is it easy to just use a cash point at Goa airport?

I'm landing very early in the morning, what time do the currency exchanges open/close?

thanks

6 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: holiday cash

have you asked if the retreat will take payment in £s ?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: holiday cash

The airport exchange is open in the middle of the night. It's near baggage claim.

You can take rupees into India but they are hard to obtain in the UK.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: holiday cash

There's a SBI cash point outside arrivals , you could use that. Don't use the money exchanges at the airport they give really bad rates.

Edited: 12:03 pm, September 06, 2018
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: holiday cash

Hi In Goa cash is best The pound note is still a good strong currency they will except your pound notes with open arms cards will be more expensive as they have to pay tax same as everywhere ,so pay in pound notes

As for your spending money youll still get a better rate with notes than with card

Sharon

Edited: 1:29 pm, September 06, 2018
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
111 reviews
5. Re: holiday cash

If you have one of the 'no fee ' cards you do get a slightly better rate than off the street money changers. The big advantage of getting cash through an ATM is the security aspect. Although I do take a couple of hundred pounds cash in case of emergency I wouldn't like to take all my spends in cash.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: holiday cash

They prefer to be paid In pounds quite often. Best to ask them if they'd like that. You can take up to 25,000 rupees in or out of India. As said though, It's bit difficult to get hold of it in the UK.

BOB.....

Reply to: holiday cash
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted