We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planes, trains and automobiles...

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Planes, trains and automobiles...

Trains: Is it necessary to complete the online registration to book train tickets on the indian rail website? A bit weary of putting all my person details (passport number etc) on....is it secure??

Car: Received a quote for a personal driver of 750 rupees per day, is this about right for Delhi or should I seek a better price ( 80 km per day, car with A/C) ? Any suggestions of where he can take me??

What is the best way to travel from Delhi airport as a lone female.....

Any contributions greatly received...

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
774 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

i'm not sure about the online registration, but the price of the AC car quoted is OK. if you bargain hard you could get the price down to Rs . 700 at most but i think its OK. remember to check the starting milage when you start your tour. they start counting from the point the taxi leaves the taxi stand, so when the car comes to pick you up 2-3 Km over the quoted milage is usual.

as for travelling from the airport, ask the hotel to do a pick up ( a bit expensive) other wise take a prepaid taxi.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

Indian Railways Reservations initially started with sending the Booked Tickets by Courier so it required that the Reservation should be done atleast three days in advance, only a year back they introduced the eTickets concept which requires the Photo Identify while travelling along with the Ticket (the one which is provided during the reservation process) . All this process was implemeted to avoid touts/brokers/middlemen. So please goahead and provide the signup details if you want to book a reservation.

Infact last year i did a Online Reservation for my travel on Malaysian Railways between Kuala Lumpur & Singapore even there i had to create a User Account and provide all the details so its common for Asian Countries i guess.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

RatnaPrasad as you have a wealth of train knowledge, can you help me with the different train classes as i'm confused! I understand that 1A would be the 'best' class but if this is not available what is the next best thing?

I am thinking of taking the Bhopal Express from Delhi on Friday evening at 21.00 to arrive at Agra at 23.37, then taking the Punjab Mail at 17.00 to arrive back in Delhi at 20.05 on the Saturday. Are these trains 'good' in the sense of being on time etc?

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

If one 1AC is not available go for AC2 infact for a short journey between Delhi-Agra-Delhi even AC3 will do.

Delhi to Agra Bhopal Express is ok as at that time there are not much trains, select AC3 and choose Side Lower & Sider Upper berths as its a short journey would be comfortable to sit.

For Agra-Delhi instead of Punjab express select any of the below if you do not have a tight schedule as Punjab Express is long distance train and could be late.

2279 TAJ EXPRESS *AGRA CANTT 18:55 H NIZAMUDDIN 22:05

2001 +NDLS SHATABDI E *AGRA CANTT 20:30 NEW DELHI 22:30

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

Missed out mentioning that for Day journey Trains select AC Chair, the above Trains provided me are short day journey trains and you may need to choose AC Chair Car, further for Shatabdi Express it also has 1st class AC Chair Car, a sort of premium again available only on very selected trains.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

thank you very much for your help!

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

last question...promise.

how would you rate the JHELUM EXPRESS *AGRA CANTT 17:55 H NIZAMUDDIN 20:48 or the CHATTISGARH EXP *AGRA CANTT 16:10 H NIZAMUDDIN 19:42 - I want to leave Agra before 6pm if possible rather than hang a round all afternoon....

the class 2A is available, i assume this is the best class and is air conditioned???

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

Except for the trains i had mentioned rest of the trains are long journey trains which are travelling for around 1500-2000 kms (exception would be Bhopal Express) As already mentioned if you are time specific they go for any Train should not make any difference. 2AC is the best. If possible i would still recommend Shatabdi Express to experience the best Travel available within Indian Railways.

Are you arriving on the same day morning or a day earlier, just checking as you mentioned that you do not want to hang around.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

Thanks again for the info. We are not travelling the same day, but after reading many posts about the best time to visit the Taj, decided would be best to go the night before and get up early to try and beat some of the crowds.

Wanted to leave in the afternoon as not sure what else to do in Agra (besides the fort and Taj) and as visiting the Taj early would have a long time in Agra before train due to leave in the evening.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planes, trains and automobiles...

Even the Tourism Bus takes 9.30 to 5.30pm or which also covers

Fatehpur Sikhri so you should be able to spend time visiting Fatehpur Sikhri and catch atleast the Taj Express 6.55pm, anyhow it was just my personal opinion.