We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquids in hand luggage

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
99 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Liquids in hand luggage

The British Airways website says that travelers to India are not allowed ANY liquids or gels in their hand luggage. For any one who has flow recently is this true? My son is having eye surgery prior to our trip to India and will need several types of eye drops during the flight. Just checking.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

They have this 100 ml limit on hand baggage - any liquids should be 100 ml or less.

- Deepa

Columbus, GA
Level Contributor
77 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

Just got back from Delhi... They told us no food, packaged food or any liquids no matter the size in hand bags. Then they told us only one carry on.

The truth of the matter is that there are only two security metal detectors being used in the airport and the line stretches to the farthest reaches of the airport. They one bag is said only to help speed things up and it is not enforced.

We left food and drinks in the hand carry ons and we breezed right through security. Compared to other countries, security is rather lax here. If you are a female, put the creams in your pocket if you are worried. Bring a doctors note just in case?

Going through the Delhi airport on your return at midnight is a harrowing experience, but you will survive.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
99 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

Could you please define "harrowing"? This is the only time during our trip to India where we will not be with our group and your post is making me nervous. I will definitely have my son bring a doctors note for his eye drops. I don't know how I'll survive the 17 hr. plus flight (It's direct to Chicago.) without my eye drops!

Columbus, GA
Level Contributor
77 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

The airport is very crowded. If you have an eticket bring a copy of your print out of the ticket and have it available to enter the airport or they will not let you into the airport. (Yes it makes no sense to you, but this is India.) Outside the airport it is very very busy and congested. At this time the airport is on high security and if you have someone take you to the airport, they will have a hard time parking and then finding you again to help you in the airport. They also may not be allowed in. Getting into the airport is interesting with the large crowds of people everywhere and this is at night. Enter anywhere you can. Show the armed guard your ticket or copy papers and passport and then go inside.

Once you are in, make sure you have everything liquid and food and anything that they may find suspicious already packed in your checked luggage. Get a free push cart and put your luggage on it. Take this luggage to any of the large xray machine screening areas. There will be crowds pushing here. Put you luggage on the belt and then walk around to the other side to make sure you reclaim this luggage. They will tag and bind it. From here, take your luggage on your cart to a check in counter. Here they will tell you you are only allowed 1 carry on per person. Say thank you but you will try it with two if this is what you have.

After check in, make sure they give you an immigration form and fill this out. Take it and your carry ons to the long line at immigration. After passing here get into the long line for security check. If you see a group of traveling monks, get in the line behind them, that line will move faster.

Here is where you put your eye drops in your pocket or inside your drawers! They wont check this! You may want to get two bottles of your eye drops and put one in your bag and one in your pants just in case they find one. Keep your prescriptions available. Even if your drops are in your bag, I'm sure they will not stop you for this in India. You wont take off your shoes here and you wont have to take out your computer. If you are wearing a sweater, put it through with your carry ons here.

Once you are through, find your way to the gate. This is easy to find and you will not get lost. Find a seat, sit down and wait. Keep 50-100 rupees on you in case you want to get a snack or drinks. There is free bottled water everywhere from dispensers to drink. In this airport you can take your food onto the plane with you as the security check point is prior to the boarding area.

The bathrooms here would be considered spotless for India. In the womens rooms you will have both toilets and these facilities are comfortable. Make sure you bring your Charmin To Go, but they supply paper here.

Get to the airport 4 hours early and try to relax. Having the little extra time will make it easier. You will survive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
99 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

Thank you so much for your very informative post. I will print it out and take it with me. It seems that time and patience are the key to navigating the Delhi airport.

6. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 14, 2009