We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring two mobile phones to India?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Can I bring two mobile phones to India?

Hello. I will travel to Hyderabad for a week and I am planning to take two smartphones with me because I've bought a SIM that has a cheaper roaming rate. However, I have read about many people having trouble with the airport custom officers. Some say that the duty-free allowance is one laptop and another electronic device of which value does not exceed INR 25,000. According to http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm, which I believe to be the latest and official information, a non-Indian tourist is allowed to bring any goods without paying duty, as long as they are for personal use or will be exported once the tourist leaves the country. Therefore, the aforementioned restriction is not applied in my case, is that right? Then, do I need to fill any self-declaration form, or just walk through the Green channel?

Sorry if the question is a bit silly. I don't travel often and the negative stories I have heard tend to worry me. Being a rather clueless, lone traveller, I don't want to end up paying a huge tax or being the target of harassment from some authorities looking for bribes. I will really appreciate your advice.

Thank you :)

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I bring two mobile phones to India?

Keep the phones in your pocket, walk smartly through the Green channel. There is no law against bringing in any number of mobile phones for personal use.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I bring two mobile phones to India?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, Brave 1. I guess I worried a little too much.

Cheers.

3. Re: Can I bring two mobile phones to India?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 17, 2014