We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange and Indian rupees

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Currency exchange and Indian rupees

Should I exchange currency and get rupees before arriving in India (Hyderabad), withdraw cash at ATM at International Airport in Hyderabad or is there a better option for western tourist for a 1 week stay and first visit to India. Thanks

Phnom Penh
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange and Indian rupees

You'll probably get a better rate changing in India (preferably not at the airport)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange and Indian rupees

I have just found some information which states that the import of Indian currency by foreigners is prohibited so that answers part of my question.

Where should I go to exchange money - bearing in mind that I am a first time visitor to India and do not know my way around? Should I just exchange at the hotel as a safe option?

What is the best denomination of currency to have - for shopping, tipping etc? Any amount of INR that I should avoid as its value is too hard to change? Thanks for any assistance.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
296 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange and Indian rupees

There are plenty of ATMs where you can withdraw cash but you should check beforehand that what are the charges levied by your bank for each withdrawal. You can get rupees before arriving India also but I think you will get far better prices with the money exchangers in the city (in your case Hyderabad). The money exchangers at the airport will also be expensive!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
296 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange and Indian rupees

I think bringing Indian currency is absolutely prohibited:

http://us.makemytrip.com/travelbag/forex.htm

There will be many money exchangers in the main markets of big cities. Hotel rates will also be a bit on the expensive side!! Can't say much about Hyderabad though.

If you are going to visit the country side (villages and small towns), 1000 rupee note might be an issue to get change and at times 500 one also. Keep a lot of 10 and 20 rupee notes for tipping etc.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange and Indian rupees

Bring AUD in cash or TC and get them changed at any money changer in India. You can also use the ATM's, subject to bank charges.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange and Indian rupees

Thanks for all the advice. I had heard that 10 rupee notes were handy so that is good to know as well.

Pakistan
Level Contributor
155 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange and Indian rupees

I have very recently returned from my one week first time trip to India. What I did was changed my dollars at the airport. The rate was just fine no problems there. I suggest you change your money at the airport since you are a first timer and the rates are not that bad if you add the cost of taking taxi in search for a money changer without Indian money in your pocket! Just change a couple of 100 bucks so you can pass a day or so and get to know the place around until you get to a proper exchanger. Lastly when you are returning make sure you change all indian currency back to your native currency before security and after getting your boarding pass. There are no money exchangers beyond immigration. Hope that helps.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency exchange and Indian rupees

Thanks so much that is very helpful. Our trip got deferred from last week so I won't be going until late February. Thanks again.

9. Re: Currency exchange and Indian rupees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 27, 2014