We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Solihull, West Mids
Level Contributor
845 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Still not booked. My holiday to gambia and I know what's stopping me -MALARIA TABLETS. I have read so many posts and just dread the side effects ruining my holiday. Really so unsure what to do. I am well travelled but never visited anywhere where I have had to take these dreaded tablets before -looking for some reassurance I think!!!!! HELP

Arch Tours
Eco Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Black and White Safari - Day Tours
Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Have used malarone for many years both me and oh and never once had a problem or any side effects.

Isle of Sheppey
Level Contributor
814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Malarone for me too, no problems.

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

I am into my 5th month of living here in the Gambia,i take the one a week Lariam/Mefloquine and suffered no effects whatsoever,previously on holiday visits I took Doxycyline and did suffer with the strong sun ,though having said that I have lived and worked in hotter countries an not had any trouble ,but I wasn't takeing Doxy then ,ask your GP ,and don't worry ,but most of all please do not even think of comeing here and not taking any at all ,

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

used doxy once and had sunburn quite bad but have taken malerone ever since with no problems hth

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Malarone worked very well for us. Lariam cased me insomnia and my other half had hallucinations. Doxycycline caused nasty sunburn for my other half . It varies from one person to another , so for us it will be Malarone

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Hi

Speak to your GP who has your records and make sure you tell him/her about any non prescription meds you take All 3 recommended tablets are equally effective but have different side effects for different people If you havent booked yet and arent going soon you could take a few Malarone or lariam whilst still in this country as the side effects become apparant quite soon You can also do this for doxycycline but wont be able to check the sun sensitivity issue although the WHO reckon this affects only about 5% of users We often hear complaints from people who suffer this effect but thats human nature we complain when things are OK but take it for granted when there arent any problems Ive taken doxy. since my first trip in 1987 with no problems. rgds

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Malarone has had absolutely no side effects for me.

Solihull, West Mids
Level Contributor
845 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Thank you for all your comments -much appreciated

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Hi Smilerdownes

We taken Malerone for the past seven years and we often visited several time a year, I spoke to my GP who knows what other medication I take and these were recommend, hubby has no medication and takes the same as me and no problems either. I will say that we take them at the same time each day which is breakfast time and always take them with food!!

I hope you book that holiday and if you do have a great time, don't forget to tell us if you do book and it would be appreciate if you come back and do a report!! It helps other that are undecided!!!

Best wishes

Breeze

Edited: 6:50 pm, August 31, 2013
london
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with malaria tablets-it's putting me off going!,

Malarone taken for all our visits and no side effects at all. Although the most expensive! Enjoy your hols and now can get a generic Malarone much cheaper - was £2 plus per tablet! Check out the online sites if you can't get free presciptions from your local surgery - it varies around the country.

Get answers to your questions about Kololi