We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

Watford, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

Hey

We are coming out to kololi on the 5th April for 2wks 1st timers!!!!

Am bit concerned about mosi as they love me!!!! lol any advice on products as read rev on INCOGNITO products and abit hit & miss.

Many Thanks

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

Hi Fiesty42

Welcome to The Gambian Forum, it might be a tad quiet on here so do forgive some of us if we don't post to your topic!!

We have just had 2 posts deleted and believe it or not that was about mosquito's, well actually it was wose as it was bout Malaria of course the were deleted within the last hour or so!!

So I guess many of us are thinking "whats the point in taking the effort to post "only to have it completely disappear and be deleted"!!

Sometimes we have to re-group and think about about the situation!! "I'm sure we will all be back soon with some answers to your post!!

Best wishes

Breeze

Edited: 4:56 pm, March 25, 2013
Retford, United...
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

Hi Fiesty - Difficult for me to advise as I haven't used a wide range of products and even then I think some products work better for some people than others. The only thing I would advise if if you are going to use a DEET based product then go for one containing 50 % rather than 30 %, but be aware that high % DEET can damage some plastics and some fabrics. Try a quick test spray too, I tested the Jungle Fever brand in my local supermarket and thought the smell was disgusting! - no wonder the mozzies don't like it, whereas Superdrug do their own brand of 50% DEET and it smells quite pleasant

scotland
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

Hello fiesty 42, If you type mosquitoes /treatment/deet, etc in the search

box above your question ,many and varied answers will show ,

those that have not been deleted

cheers n rgds Bruff

ps enjoy the holiday

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

Hi Fiesty42,

Welcome to The Gambian Forums...!!!

Make sure you have your tabs as well..! Deet in 50% Smell 1st..

Another little thing, get a Elec clicker, that takes off the itching, get on eBay or outdoor shops..

Rich.......

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

Might be an Idea to look at :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/…47677746

Just put it up again...

Rich.........

london
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

So many people on here have fab reviews on products others say are no good.

I would personally say each work in varying ways on different people so take a couple of different brands to test?

Some also say mossies are getting used to DEET so not working for them.

Proof is in the pudding when you have two people using the identical brand - one gets bitten to pieces and the other receives none!

BUT, do use something whatever you do.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

Fiesty l presume you know about the specific anti malarials for the Gambia? Malarone or the newer cheaper generic equivalent, Doxycycline and (whats the name of it, cant remember!!!)

Not sure whats been going on tonight ie the deletions as l havn't been at home so wont risk this being deleted by suggesting brands but try to buy suncream with insect repellent, it works for us.

Have a great trip

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

..... Larium is the other one

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

I use the cheap cloth wrist bands and top them up with a dab of citronella oil every so often. Pleasant smell. It is what us in the bands bought on TC flights and in the coils that you burn. 3 months and no mossie bites but I stay at Sanyang and they seem to be scarce there. Enjoy your trip and don't forget to report

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Mosquio Treatment and tips

Hi

No Angela LariAm is the other one lol rgds

Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations