We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kerwan Clinic

scotland
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kerwan Clinic

Hi Jeff and all,

We traveled to Kerewan Clinic, via Banjul in 2 yellow cars to Banjul taxi stop via west field Banjul taxi terminus/Garage

we arrived in Barra after a 90 minute wait for the Ferry Kanali .

My thinking is this, the ferry Kaneli is towed by 15 dolphins and the drivers malted is chilled via the samll engine power

We waited 2 hours for a good Gelli Gelli to Kerewan ( ni way am I or anyone traveling in a 7 seater taxi packed with 10 folks and a driver up that new road )arriving at 4 pm.

The bus dropped us at the door.

We were met by the chief nurse/administrator , the Head Nurse Lamin and of course nurse Fatou was called.

The blood pressure machine stethescopes and antibiotics ,also Nurses watches and dressing + cotton wool. and batteries were happily received,

total cost for 1000 penicillan, 1000 septrin and cooton wool via Kairaba pharmacy was 1825 dalasi,

cheap at twice the price..

The Clinic treats around 29000 outpatient, and 900 or so inpatients in a small 8 or 10 bed ward treating men woman and children altogether.

They are grateful for all and any assistance that may be given and pray for philantropic help to arrive said the hospital head man

19 fully qualified Nurses run the whole clininc, from the chief Nurse Lamin who is also the up country outreach Nurse

outpatients pay 5 dalasi a visit,

We were made most welcome, and given the patiens family house to stay the night, I graciously gave Lamin the coconut fibre bed( it is as hard as rock) and I slept the night on a wonderful foam with a blanket for a pillow

Thankyou for making us so welcome ,arranging food, and accommodation,thanks a BIG thanks Nurse Fatou for arranging chicken, then giving up your day off to make 2 mens breakfast,

thankyou Nurse Lamin for treating me small ,driving me around the grounds, and tranporting me to the car at the road

Thaknks all at Kerewan Clinic for making us very happy,

Oh Lamin your a mate none of this can happen without you my man

Jeff pm me and I will send you another dozen watches. OH Your nurse friend is a wee gem

cheers from Bruff,

typing with a hand that burns and blisters even with factor 50 suncream,

A medical rep has said he will help all he can next year, so all my clothes stay with lamin in lamin,

Think charity think even small for Kerewan ,Nurse Fatou can collect anything donated she said

photos will be posted soon inshallah

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kerwan Clinic

Hi to you both!!

Thank you for lovely comments!! Can I say that 'it's been a pleasure to help out', for which I will continue for as long as is needed!! As things do wear out and things will need replacing sooner or later!!

Best wishes

Breeze

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Kerwan Clinic

Wonderful report Bruff...thank you.

Jeff has told me all about the clinic and Fatou. I was supposed to meet her this time but we didnt manage it. Looking forward to meeting both Jeff and Fatou in april.

The staff at the clinic do a marvellous job.

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kerwan Clinic

Hi Bruff

What where the rough timings of your journey to Kerewen?

Are the roads good or are there bad? Was there anything that slowed the journey down like road blocks etc?

Breeze

Edited: 3:07 am, March 01, 2013
14. Re: Kerwan Clinic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:20 am, May 07, 2013
15. Re: Kerwan Clinic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:20 am, May 07, 2013
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Kerwan Clinic

Tourniquets from £1.50 on eBay UK to NEW TRAUMA KIT -1x CAT Tourniquet, 1 x Celox , 2 x 6" Trauma Dressing Bandage £39.99

ebay.co.uk/sch/…

Plastic Single Head Yellow Stethoscope £1.99 to stupid money..

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html…

I'll try to find a Operating Theater, have seen them as Containers, think they'll be a bit more..

Hope that helps a bit..

I'll PM you when find more stuff..

Rich..........

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kerwan Clinic

Hi

I am just wondering if chefs aprons would do to help protect the nurses uniform because at least they can be washed through and re-used?!

Would it matter about the colour because white aprons are very expensive? Job lots on ebay come in black or blue!!

Breeze

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Kerwan Clinic

Just seen your post breezy ,im not sure they would be the ideal covering ,idealiy i would think they need the very light disposable ones ,they would be best ,

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Kerwan Clinic

Hi Jeff

I was just thinking in the long term that it may be better to have something that can be washed!! If we have disposable ones when they are gone, they are gone!!

Just a thought I had!!

Do they treat malaria patients too? If they do where do they get the medication from?

Breeze

Edited: 4:35 pm, March 06, 2013
Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Kerwan Clinic

Ha Ha just found them on Amazon £4-69 for 200 post free ,just ordered them delivery 14th march , Any Body else !!!!!! iv put up a list that these girls (nurses) are maneging to do without but would love to have acces to them ,and they are only a few quid to buy ,and i would get them out their ,iv just packed 200 clinical waste yellow bags i bought of Amazon ,and have you ever felt the weght of these things ,ha ha ,anyway they are boxed up now and ready to ship ,

Get answers to your questions about Kololi