We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advice - first timer

Edinburgh, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Hotel advice - first timer

Hi all, I am looking for some advice. My husband and I are planning a trip to Gambia. He has always wanted to go.

So we have decided that a package with Thomas Cook is the most cost effective wasy to book for us. Looking at Gatwick as easy for an internal flight down from Edinburgh.

I have been doing lots of reading and we want to be within walking distance of the strip.Walking distance is say 20 minutes however I don't want a dark road which doesn't feel safe.

I have read a lot about bumsters and they sound like the characters in Tunisia!

Now we are planning on going in November? Good month to go? I love the weather hot.

Also the hotels we are looking are the ones sold by Thomas cook. We have ruled out Palma Rima. Cheap but a dark road back isn't for us. At present we like HBC and Bamboo. Unfortunately Bamboo has no reviews and with HBC how can you get a good room? Thomas cook only offer a family room?

We did look at the senegambia but it is costing about £150pp more than everything else and is it really worth it?

Sorry, so many questions! Please feel free to recommend other Thomas Cook hotels. !

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

livelaughlove , i love your name all roads in gambia are pretty much dark once the sun has gone down , but the main road from the palma rima isnt too bad always lit with car headlights if nothing else , i would recomend taking a good torch or 2 even where ever you chose to stay . the strip area is ok as it is lit from all the bars and restaurants , i will leave it now to the many lovely ppl who have visited gambia many many times more than me and are much wiser in helping you with your questions , happy holiday hunting an enjoy xxxxxxx

Edinburgh, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

Thanks.

By dark road I mean essentially a dirt track with nothing about. We want to feel safe walking back to the hotel. I am not a fan of taxis abroad at night time. Like to be walking distance to the main area.

cambridge
Level Contributor
177 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

The senegambia hotel is only £765 for 2 weeks from the 15th of novemeber which is really good value. includes 20kg of luggage and transfers too.

I was looking myself earlier! Im booked to go there in 5 weeks time.

According to reviews the Kairaba hotel is really good and thats only £832pp.

I believe both of these hotels are only a stones throw away from the strip.

Mentioned in this post
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kairaba Beach Hotel
910 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

Hi Livelaughlove

Welcome to The Gambian Forum!!

Here some reviews of the Bamboo Hotel, alas not from trip advisor as we have had no reports yet, but it may help you decided!!

translate.google.co.uk/translate…

It may not work but at least I tried!!

Best wishes

Breeze

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

as donna says the 2 hotels mentioned are on the strip so no worries there , the main highway road from the palma rima to the strip is a proper road , tho you would av to walk just off it in the dirt track , it can be walked in about 20-30 mins ish , different for different ppls circumstances . as for the taxis, im sure you would be fine , and every chance you would get one particular driver that would look after you a lot of the time , but i also understand if you have worries , if you want to spend less i would recomend reviewing the palma a bit more , its cheap and cheerfull we stayed twice in the space of 4 months lol let us know what you decide :)

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

Wow!! Clever me!!

I think that I would chose this over HBC, happy holiday hunting and don't forget to let us know what you have decided!!

Best wishes

Breeze

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

Sorry Milimo!!

Our posting crossed!!

Breeze

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

breezy the link worked , looks ok aswell doesnt it , is this now available in TC brouchures then do you know ?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

not a problem breezy lol , im quite intrigued by the bamboo and the sky place , well done you on these finds :)

Edinburgh, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel advice - first timer

palma rima was only really considered as we could get AI Bungalow for the same price as BB elsewhere. Of course we don't want AI but if it is that cheap then it would be good for when we were in the hotel. The reviews however have put me off.

We are really liking Bamboo. Small hotel and seems close to everything. Also it is new which is always nice.

Bamboo for our dates is £570 and Senegambia is £715. Is Senegambia worth the extra? If it is then we will book there

Mentioned in this post
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,369 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations