We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in gambia

bristol
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
living in gambia

hi we' re thinking of retiring to the gambia in a few years.Could anyone give us any info please?

we'll probably rent out there and would like to take our 4x4 with us.we dont want to drive over though so need help to find how to ship it please.

thanks winemaker58

Kristianstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: living in gambia

This was on getting a car to the gambia.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293794-i9249-k563…

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: living in gambia

Have you been to Gambia before?

bristol
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: living in gambia

hi,several times.Got married out there last year too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: living in gambia

Good idea to rent. You can get a fabulous place for a fraction of the UK prices. I think you would have to covert the 4X4 to left-hand drive. I lived there for two and half years and really enjoyed it. If you have any specific questions you will find lots of help on this forum. Good luck.

bristol
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: living in gambia

many thanks for your reply english_BobHa,

We love the country and people as well as the life style-so laid back.

We looked at some rental companies last time we were over in April.Havent been out there in rainy season yet.Going to try it next year.Whats it like.Know of any good rental firms please?

thanks winemakers58

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: living in gambia

If your 4 x 4 is not LHD you will have to get it converted within three months and you will also have to register it within three months of entry as I assume it will be on UK plates.

As you are going to live there I suggest shipping by container which takes up from 15 days to a month. In this way you can fill the car and container with other items you want to take. Costs about £2,000 for shipping plus import tax when you get there. This is supposed to be a fixed percentage of the value but seems to be negotiable from a high price to a bit lower. RoRo costs about £600 but you have to leave your keys with the shippers so you cannot really leave anything in it.

Renting is a good option as you can get a nice place for not a lot of money but it all depends on how long you intend to stay for. I know of a very nice property for sale @ £30K. If you pay £3k pa renting then after 10 years you have nothing to show and you continue to pay rent ......

My advice is do not sell up in the UK. I think you may need a bolt hole ....

Edited: 12:59 pm, August 05, 2012
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: living in gambia

If driven over, you have 1 Month to change to LHD.

If you send by Container, a RHD, you have to notify Gambia Police Chief before sending, Send copy of Log Book and He will send Letter to you, saying He will allow it in.

Which you give to Shippers,

As for renting, I will be Paying about £285,00 per Year,

1,000 Dalasi a Month. 2 Bedrooms, Large Parlour, Shower, Flush Toilet, and Sink, Plus small Kitchen, Small Verandha at Front, Cash Power, Telephone, Linehouse middle of 3. Parking in Compound.

Don't think that's, Expensive....!!!!

Rich.........

Edited: 3:02 am, August 06, 2012
Ascot
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: living in gambia

If you've got a place in the UK, let it out and that easily pays for your rent in TG. Buying in TG makes no sense to me as it carries many risks, whereas keeping a property in the UK has many benefits.

Tanji, Gambia
Level Contributor
340 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: living in gambia

Property Partnership are good for rentals - at the top of the strip and on the opposite side of the road. William took us to see a number of properties and the rental prices were excellent.

Rochdale, UK
Level Contributor
360 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: living in gambia

Personally, I am glad I bought in TG 4 years ago.

I can plant whatever I want in garden, I can bring the plumbing and electrics up to UK standard, build patio areas, all sorts of things to keep me active.

I would be bored to tears living in a rented house that you cannot touch.

Might curse after mixing concrete by hand but a Julbrew tastes lots sweeter after you have worked for it.

Have done 4 x 6 month stays so far and couldn't cope with being a tourist for all that time.

Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations