We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

Which Kololi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hull
6 posts
Save Topic
How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

Me and my partner are going to gambia in april but havent got a clue as to how much spending money to take as we both enjoy eating out and having a few beers :) any help would be appreciated

staffordshire
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

lol at you lot! We actually ate quite well but did cater for ourselves a fair amount due to kiddies. Would say we ate out about 7 or 8 times but nowhere fancy. LOTS of beer and soft drinks consumed (bought wholesale - cheers Kerr!) . Spirits so cheap hardly worth mentioning.lol. I think our main saving was walking and getting bush taxis EVERYWHERE!!! We expected to spend much more and came home with £700!! It has gone straight back in the kitty for the next holiday.

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

Bod - when was the last time you bought diesel in Gambia?? It's around D36 a litre - that's about 80p!!! Cost us about £150 to fill her up for our last trip - NOT cheap. Cheapest day for us - in Senegal!!! tapalapa with butter, cheese and ham from our fridge in the back of landy. More tapalapa with tuna (again from supplies!) for lunch and pasta with yet more tuna for tea with... yes you've guessed it.....more tapalapa - that was very inland Senegal and if you've been you'll totally understand - eh Bod??!!!

NEVER cater for ourselves unless we are in Senegal (can you guess I don't really like the country?). I want a break from doing that even when kids were babies/tiny still went out every night....

No probs with the wholesale Sunset. Did you use 3D's too?

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

Hoho, Last time I went I wasn't looking at the price of fuel it had just cost me £200 to 'buy' back my car from being used as loan collateral. Made me ill... I apparently still owe another £200. Talk about being bumstered... It was also wrecked with the brake system drained and re-filled with engine oil. First thing was a service... The scum that achieved this I'd known for 12 years and used his storage facilities at a yearly cost of £100. Not enough when it came to getting to Europe so he sold his house, borrowed from everyone dumped my car and left for Spain. The police await his return.

Ah, Senegal. Land of the tiny portion of food. We also have a fridge and many tins of food... Inland is dry and hot, dusty and dirty. Tambacounda (Which I'm sure you've driven through Kerr) has a hotel that on my last visit had no water and the walls were moving with wee beasties. A mozzi net was a must have. A watermelon was a nice find but so expensive I did not buy. The usual selection of shops selling plastic buckets and a lack of decent food.

It's great to get back to Gambia after these places the food is 10 times better. I was served a carrot in Atar, Mauritania (far, far worse food than Senegal) amid great ceremony then a few chunks of near raw goat that was inedible.

I recommend camel however. The red meat is best...

Edited: 12:57 pm, March 18, 2010
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

bod i am glad your not my bank manager, £200 X D40 divided by 14 days = D571 per day.

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

I'm still offering a reward for anyone finding my two spare wheels!!! If you see a Michelin man on a Landy, Michelin XZL's they are mine!!! £100 reward...

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

Ah, but when you take into account that there were four people:-

"We managed to spend just over £200 in 2 weeks for 4 of us!!"

I make that D142.75 each...

I'd be happy to control your finances Mac. Just email me you bank and sort code I'll have you trading in Dalasi before you can say 'Lamin took my cash'...

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

emma says no chance, she knows all my different pass words etc. With all this cold weather we have had lately I have never looked forward to a holiday as much as this coming one. When are you out here again regards mal

staffordshire
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

know why I dont mind cartering for ourselves on hols??? Cos Hubbie does all the shopping and cooking. lol. does most of it at home too!!! So I get spoilt either way. hee hee. And yes Kerr - did use 3Ds, especially for the spirits! Thanks for all your tips and advice on Brufut - really helped!

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

Perhaps you'd like to open an account with Bank Tapalapa? There is an offer of a free toothbrush with every new account this month.

Not sure of a date for next visit yet. Still sorting out UK stuff has kept me busy!

Ah Sunset, you'd get on well with Mrs B. I was forced to order a Chinese tonight after having to make my own sandwich for lunch!

East Sussex
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: How much spending money for 2 weeks in gambia

What he forgets to tell you is that I cook 99% of the time.

But yes when we are on holiday I don't want to cook if I don't have to. But have to say that when we have been travelling tapalapa and omlettes are great and we have eaten them in some beautiful spots along the roads.

Silver

Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations