We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

Kansas City
Level Contributor
138 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

We are ready to book yet I am now second guessing my atoll selection. We are thinking Ninamu ( waiting to see if they have enough rooms, or the Peal). We have 3 nights to spend at an atoll. I am now wondering if we should visit Rangiroa instead. I really want the best overall experience. We plan on diving and snorkeling and enjoying the natural surroundings. If we stay in Rangiroa, we would maybe stay at the Dream, some place off the main island. What has me second guessing is the diving, the playing with dolphins, and the blue lagoon tour...ughhhh HOw do i ever decide. Is the diving pass in Rangiroa really that much more spectacular then Tikehau?? I have established that Tikehau is more beautiful with the pink sands, I am now wanting to make sure I don't miss out on the best dive experience of my life. Also, It seems as if the day trips from Rangiroa may provide a chance to see more??? I know there are some people who have been able to visit the atolls time and time again...If you have to pick one....what would it be?? If you do suggest Rangiroa, please include what hotel I should consder...Thanks in advance!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

Not going until June but we have chosen the Kia Ora for 6 nights on Rangiora. They have a pay for 2 nights get one free offer.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

We've stayed at both Tikehau (Pearl Beach) and Rangiroa (Kia Ora Village). Both are lovely atolls. Tikehau's beauty is just incredible; it surrounded us at the hotel... all long stretches of pink sand, blue water, bluer sky. It was like being alone in a postcard with your spouse. Rangi's main stretch is very pretty but not as spectacular as Tikehau--you're right that it's the daytrips there. Those trips are incredible, unforgettable, and the Pass (we drift snorkeled it as we're not divers) was the most insane experience ever. Honestly, I think both are absolutely stupendous choices. Do one now; do the other on your next trip. If you want to just be immersed in the sheer beauty of an atoll, I'd stick with Tikehau--then, you're living, breathing, sleeping it every minute of your day, especially as you only have 3 nights (which would limit the number of day trips you could do on Rangi, especially if there is a minimum number of participants required).

Kansas City
Level Contributor
138 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

Thanks for the comparisons, wow amf1, you have me thinking we MUST do booth. Thanks so much, Tikehau for sure!! thanks so very much!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

"Is the diving pass in Rangiroa really that much more spectacular then Tikehau??"

This is my biggest question right now. I am surprising my wife with a trip in May and PADI certification to start diving. We are staying in Bora Bora for 4 nights and Tikehau for three. But I can change it up. Considering adding Rangiroa for 2 nights or swapping it for Tikehau. Is the diving in the pass that much better than Rangiroa? Would the chance of swimming with dolphins or hammerheads be worth giving up the beauty and serenity of Tikehau? Could really use some help from a few different thought processes!!! No, diving isn't what the whole trip is about, at all. It's about beautiful beaches and relaxing in great weather. But, I don't want to miss an opportunity to dive in the pass and what some people call a top 10 dive. Thanks in advance!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
138 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

HI Librahi,

We have not gone on our trip yet, as we will be there in May as well. What I can tell you is I researched this topic EXTENSIVELY, and do not switch from TIkehau. According to every person that I spoke with, that had been to both places...Tikehau was the best overall experience considering above water and below.Tikehau has the largest population of fish possibly in thw world, and according to the people I spoke with still spectacular diving. We are staying at Ninamu wnd many guests get to see dolphins so there is still that possibility in Tikehau. I have my fingers crossed, becuase I really want to see and even swim with the dolphins in the open water. I did read a trip report which had be thinking I could not pass up Rangiroa, yet we already have a three week long trip and something had to give. I began speaking with many travel agents, a couple real estate owners who frequent the islands, and MANY travelers that are here on trip advisor. Furthermore, if you are novice divers from what I understand the diving can be challenging at the pass and if you read the dive reviews of the Rangiroa dive shops you may find it left many divers a little uneasy. The dive reviews are really concerning, as I do not like to dive with companies who do not take necessary precautions...after a big scare in Thailand..I will say it is not something to take lightly. By the way, where are you staying in Tikehau?? I would strongly consider you looking in to Ninamu..as we are beyond excited for that experience, What a suprise, that is awesome!!! I hope this information helps. I know it is all second hand information that I have gathered, yet I planned this 3 week trip to the south pacific for three couples, and it is a huge investment so I put a ton of time in resesearching to make sure I made the best selections...Have fun..and congrats on you awesome vacation!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

Thank you so much for this response. I think my mind was made up when I read about the difficulty of the dives as well. As for Ninamu, I just think the Pearl offers more of what I'm looking for, especially the overwater bungalows. We'll be staying in those in Bora Bora as well, but we stayed in one in the Maldives once and it's a must wherever they exist IMO. Thanks again. Have a great vacation yourself! I can't wait. Even more importantly, I can't wait to surprise my wife! It's for our 10th anniversary and I want to wait to tell her on her birthday in February. WAY too far away!!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

Which ever you choose don't split the trip in to many small stops. If you dive you should not fly within 24 hours of a dive. This means that if you spend 3 days on an island you can only dive during the first two.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

Does the dive rule still hold if the flight only reaches an altitude of about 1,000 feet, as is the case for the shorter interisland hops?

Edited: 5:55 pm, January 02, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

Yeah, I'm curious about this 24 hour dive/fly rule. What's up with that?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
138 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best overall Atoll Experience?? Tikehau or Rangiroa???

Librahi, that is so awesome that you are suprising your wife!!!! This will be our first OWB experience in Bora Bora...and we can't wait for that as well.I bet the Maldives was incredible...As for dive rule, yes it is true....If you will be in Bora Bora 4 nights, you can dive the first three days, then in tikehau only two days. I think it will be fine, as you can do more than one dive per day. We will only be in Tikehau 3 nights as well....Well again have wonderful trip!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Tuamotu Archipelago