We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have concerns....

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
I have concerns....

I take to heart all the time people take to put their honest opinions on this board. I too contribute after I take a trip, always honestly, but from my point of view.

I have read almost all the reviews of Turtle Island on this post and still have mixed feelings: I love Fiji already, but do I want to spend the $$$$????

The website is amazing of course, how could you not want to go. But I must take heed to some of the things people write about.

I usually don't worry too much about a negative or less than favorable review, but again, the $$$$ to go here.

Help! Any advice, from anyone who has recently visited would be appreciated. I will not be a honeymoon, just an old (43 yrs young) married couple from California.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have concerns....

Hi BabsSC,

I have been to most of the 5-star resorts in Fiji. Dont spend the money on Turtle it is not worth it. Go to Vatulele, Royal Davui, or Namale. You will get better accommodations, food, experience from these resorts. They are also less money for more. If you want to spend Turtle type money think about having an island to yourself and go to either Wadigi or Dolphin Islands. They both have the same type of pricing, but you are the only ones on these islands and Dolphin is newer (ran by the Huka Lodge people) or Wadigi that just went through some awesome renovations.

If you want descriptions of any of the islands besides Dolphin, I can give that to you as I have been to those others.

katt

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have concerns....

Katt332:

Thank you for your prompt reply to my concerns. I have not really looked at the other resorts you mentioned and would absolutely appreciate any info you can provide to me.

Do you know anything about Wakaya Club? I guess I'm looking for that individualized service, not a lot of people and beautiful setting. Along w/great food and drinks.

I look forward to hearing from you and will begin looking into some more places before I make my decision.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I have concerns....

BabsSC

I am sorry I have not been to Wakaya. It is, of course, a great resort but I like to mingle a little while I am on vacation and from friends that have been there, that does not happen. You stay by yourself much of the time. That is great for many people (celebrities) but it is not for me. It is a very luxurious resort and you would have a very good time there.

katt

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have concerns....

BabsSC,

My favorite resorts would be Vatulele and Royal Davui. They are stunning. I like Royal Davui's villas better, they have a/c and I like the views. They also have plunge pools in every villa and over the spa tub is a retractable ceiling so you can be under the stars in the tub or sit in the sun.

Vatulele has a better, bigger beach.The meals at Vatulele are fun you can either sit at a long table with everyone having a dinner party every night or you can have dine outs. They have a wine cellar you can have dinner in, it is a ton of fun. Vatulele also includes alcohol in their rates, as much French Champagne as you want!

Both resorts have very good snorkeling and great food. I guess it is basically what style you like better.

katt

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have concerns....

Katt332,

I've been doing a little investigating on some of your recommendations and I think ultimately that I don't want to be "alone" per say. I like the interaction of other travelers, when I want to interact. I checked out Wadigi and I would feel "wierd" being their all by ourselves.

Vatuele looks wonderful and the $$$$ are really good for what you get.

I will look into Royal Dauvi as well.

Again, thanks for your recommendations.

6. Re: I have concerns....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:34 am, April 29, 2008
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have concerns....

Heatman1,

I thank you for your response and I appreciate you taking the time to read my other posts.

Our expectations are according to where we travel. It's sometimes hard to know the expectations of others....

We just rec'd the Turtle DVD - It looks wonderful. Also, they take reservations 5 years in advance. I think I could swing that time frame.

Ultimately, I want the seclusion, beauty and all-inclusiveness of the resort.

Will keep you posted...again, thanks!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I have concerns....

heat,

Usually when people post their first post here they do not attact people. Everyone that posts here has an honest opinion. They are here to help people with questions and have their own questions answered.

Why not do the same?

katt

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,114 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I have concerns....

Heat

The majority of people who reply to posts on this TA are honest and are only speaking of their own experiences. This is what I do!!!

Vancouver
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I have concerns....

BabsSC,

I am new to trip advisor, but have traveled around the South Pacific extensively. I have stayed at Turtle Isalnd and quite a few other resorts in Fiji. I have to say, honestly, no matter how hard they sell it and make it sound like the trip of a lifetime, it is NOT. The food is not 5 star as they claim, you have to sign up for the private beaches, so if you find one you really like, you may not be able to use it again because it will be booked up by other guests. It felt like a very expensive adult camp, you have to do an island tour when you get there and it is not a choice, but mandatory. They push you to buy what they call a lodge plan, which is a discount off the rates they sell to first timers. They also push very hard to give donations to the school and expect a good "tip" to the staff fund at the end of your stay. My husband has food alergies and every dinner was an issue as they alway put something on his plate he could not eat or even touch, if he did we would have to make our way to a hospital some how. I have spent a lot of money on other trips to Fiji and this was by far the worst.