We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

NYC
1 post
Save Topic
turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

I will be honeymooning in Fiji in January 2006 and am trying to decide between Turtle Island, Yasawa and tokoriki. My fiance and I are in our early 30s and are looking for a luxurious, relaxing and fun atmosphere and great food. Would also like gorgeous beaches and clean bures. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

January, never been to the places ypou have mentioned as they are out of my price range. However of the real expensive places, have you considered Vatulele? It appears to have a fantastic beach and has received top marks from some reviewers. Check out the reviews on this site and that should help. FYI, Tokoriki is far less expensive than the others, but that's not to put it down by any means. Pub

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

januaryhoneymoon,

If you want luxurious I would go for either Yasawa, or Tokoriki. Turtle island has not been renovated since before the year 2000, and their menu has not been changed in longer than that. They also have been having bad reviews. One of the reviewer on trip advisor went to Turtle island and Vatulele in June. I was at Vatulele with them. They had a horrible time. They had been there before and loved it. They are world travelers and have been to numerous countries and resorts.

You might also consider Royal Davui, Namale, or Qamea. They are also wonderful luxurious resorts.

katt

Mentioned in this post
Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

Have to respectfully disagree with Katt. We just went to Turtle and Yasawa in August for a week each. The rooms were equally gorgeous at both places, and while we liked both, the food at Turtle was far superior. Turtle has a new chef, Peter, from Australia who cooks 4-star meals that will absolutely wow you. The food at Yasawa, unfortunately, was more on the level of what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn or Applebee's. I was really excited for dinner each night at Turtle, whereas at Yasawa I kind of dreaded mealtimes. The atmosphere at Turtle is also really fun, with staff members who keep everything lively and happy, and attend to you on an individual basis, whereas at Yasawa, it's much more like a traditional hotel, where you order room service, etc., but it's not from people who know your name and remember things like the fact that you like Perrier, and bring it without you asking each time. If I were to choose only one, I'd go with Turtle no question. Having said that, though, Yasawa has really nice rooms, a pretty beach, and a great dive shop. They are both good choices, but I liked Turtle better. One of the factors you should consider in making your choice-- Yasawa encourages lots of quiet alone time and privacy, private dining, and not a lot of interaction between guests. Turtle is the opposite, to some degree. You definitely get a lot of alone time during the day, but nights are usually spent as a group. While you certainly can eat alone, and most guests eat apart from the group on a few nights, they encourage a "dinner party" each night with all guests at a long table. I was DREADING that, but ultimately loved it. We had a good group of guests and met people from all over the world. When I got to Yasawa, I actually missed the group meals, which really surprised me! Anyway, I hope that helps as a different perspective. P.S. We are in our 30's, professionals from the East Coast.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland. New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

I have been twice to both Tokoriki and Yasawa, and can say without a doubt, knock tokoriki off your honeymoon list, yasawa is far superior. I have enjoyed both stays at Yasawa and plan on going back again. We enjoy the privacy, the beach, the quality of the snorkeling and of the company of the other guests. We have discussed vatulele with guests of yasawa who had just come from there and they said that yasawa and vatulele were much of a muchness, but yasawa was cheaper and had better food, beach and marine life. Other guests we talked to were put off Turtle by it's excessive price tag, the fact that it needs updating and the communal dinners, of which yasawa has one a week, on the beach and often guests dine at eachothers tables, however it is not forced upon you. The notion that the staff at yasawa do not know your name is perhaps unjustified - they all knew ours. Any further querries - don't hesitate to email me on CubanLaho@hotmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

King,

You should have seen Turtle when it was actually kept up. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I would not want to pay that kind of money and not enjoy myself. Many people who have been to Turtle before and have gone back can see a huge difference in level of service, tattered edges in the bures, and forced activities. If you stay over 7 days at Turtle you will be eating the same food you did a week ago, as they only have a seven day rotation that has not been updated since 1999. As I have been to Fiji 2 times just this year and have been to all of the 5 star resorts in the last couple of years, I feel qualified to compare Turtle with the other 5 stars in Fiji including; Namale, Wakaya, Vatulele, Royal Davui, and Yasawa, and Turtle does not hold up to standards with the other resorts.

Once again, I am glad you had a good experience, many people who have gone to Turtle lately did not have the experience you had.

katt

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

Well well seems to be some disparity in comparisons of properties....allow my two cents?

I would personally pick Yasawa. Beautiful beautiful beach and wonderful accomodations. Food was good as well. It's expensive so be particular in your final choice!

I would take Tokoriki off my list immediately...if you want true five star then don't stay there..the bungalows are close together and my honeymoon couples have complained about that.

Turtle Island is also nice but a step down from yasawa. Became famous because of that Brook Shields movie back in the late 70's.

Please consider Qamea!!!

I was there a few months ago and it is a beautiful extremely tropical paradise! It's a bit of a journey....Nadi to Savu Savu to Taveuni and then a boat ride. But it is so worth it! This area of Fiji is really undiscovered tourist wise...they include some excursions as well...Taveuni island waterfall hike and authentic village tour. They have some brand new Premium Villas (two of them) 1600 sq feet! The rest are beachfront units and are quite lovely. www.qamea.com

hope this helps a bit.

sunny regards,

Shully

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

Shully,

I totally agree, Qamea is a wonderful choice. It is a great value. Did you stay in one of the premium villas? I loved them.

katt

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

Katt, are you in the travel business as well? Sorry, but I don't ever recall if you have mentioned it. Hope you don't mind the query. Pub

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

hey Katt...no we didn't stay in one of those premiums at Qamea... but they are beautiful! Stayed there in a beachfront and then went to Mantangi around the bend and did the beachfront........that was really nice too! Love the island of Taveuni! Oh so tropical and the views from the waterfall at Tavoro Falls is fab! Are you a travel agent too? If so where are you?

sunny regards,

shully

Mentioned in this post
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: turtle island, yasawa or tokoriki

Pub and Shully,

Fiji is one of my hobbies. I love going there and try to go at least once a year. I have some friends that are travel agents. So they keep me informed on what is going on and what is new in Fiji. I also have quite a few friends in Fiji to keep me up to date.

When I travel I like to move around and see many areas, so I end up going to 2 - 4 resorts when I go over to Fiji. Sometimes I will go and check out resorts to see if I will want to go there.

This year I was lucky and got to go to Fiji 2 times. I think next year I will only go once and maybe explore another country. I have not figured out which one yet. I just love to travel.

katt

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific