We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Taveuni weather and water temp. in August?

Los Angeles
11 posts
Save Topic
What is Taveuni weather and water temp. in August?

My fiance' and I would love to go to Taveuni and Matangi island for our honeymoon next Aug. 7th - 19th. We are true nature lovers and Taveuni seems amazing.... perfect for us... EXCEPT, we have heard that the water is not very warm (76) in August and it can be cool at night. We are looking forward to a lot of snorkeling... can anyone please tell us what the weather and water temp. is like for snorkeling in August.

Thank you.

Peace,

Leigh and Joe

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Taveuni weather and water temp. in August?

Leigh,, being a veteran of 20 South Sea tropic trips, 12 of those to Fiji, I can say that cool temps at night are a godsend. Some months of he year it can be very trying. August is one of if not the coolest month of the year and most of my trips to Fiji have fallen in August, often the entire month. This is mostly due to work schedule but I have found over the years that the tropic "winter" is just more comfortable. The angle of the sun will be similar to early October in California. I have done plenty of kayaking and snorkeling and never found the water cold. It won't be cold, trust me. Taveuni is a wetter region of Fiji than where I usually go (Mamanuca's) however the weather in August will usually have high's in the high 70's-low 80's. Nights are refreshing. Humidity is on the lower side. Expect a few overcast or mostly cloudy days as well as beautiful sunny days. Pub

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Taveuni weather and water temp. in August?

hey Leigh&Joe:

The weather in August in Fiji is beautiful! Remember it is the tropics so even if it is 76 it will be humid making it feel much hotter.

This is the dry season which is preferrable to most people as during the more rainy months it is REALLY rainy in the north ie: Taveuni and Matangi.....enjoy the waterfall tour at Matangi...they take you to Taveuni to Tavoro Falls and the view from the top is awesome!!!! You are going at a great, and usually dry, time of year....

historical weather and rainfall:

www.weatherbase.com

sunny regards and congratulations!

shully

Los Angeles
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Taveuni weather and water temp. in August?

Pub and Shully,

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply with all the scoop on Taveuni in August. Joe and I greatly appreciate the feedback.... as it makes our decision for our honeymoon that much more exciting and wonderful for us!

Pub, wondering about Mamanuca... which you stated is where you primarily travel.... if we are honeymooning for two weeks, should we try to incorporate that into our Fiji trip?

Thanks

Peace,

Leigh

4. Re: What is Taveuni weather and water temp. in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Taveuni Island