We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

Eden Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

Hi, we are deciding on a trip to Fiji or Vanuatu (Santo). We have 2 boys 16, 13 & particularly interested in snorkelling & diving with some options of maybe hiking to a waterfall or cave in case boys want a break from snorkelling. In Fiji we have considered Wananavu or somewhere near Taveuni. We have been to the coral coast & wouldn't return, Plantation Island which we enjoyed but want to try a different part of Fiji. We don't need luxury but somewhere with nice surrounds but not priced over the top. I have looked at a lot of resorts. They all look lovely but hard to decide. Snorkelling direct from the resort is a must. Suggestions?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

Look at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in the Yasawas. Good snorkelling off the beach, diving, hiking, and the trip to the Sawa-i-Lau Caves is great.

Their 2 bedroom Garden villas would suit your family, depends when you are looking at going as they book out well in advance. Either of their sister resorts might suit also - easy to access links on their website.

The Entrance...
Level Contributor
495 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

I agree, Blue Lagoon is excellent. We have just returned from 2 weeks in the Mamanucas (Malolo and Mana) and in my opinion they just don't compare to the Yasawas. We were well and truly spoilt by Blue Lagoon (Octopus its sister resort is good too). Enjoy your trip!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

The snorkelling direct from the Beach at Wananavu isn't fabulous but OK and they do have daily snorkelling trips to deep water drop offs which are amazing. Also heaps of other activities from the resort and their village/waterfall trip is just AMAZING! Great food, good pool and terrific views. Also excellent diving opportunities. Their 2 bedroom villas would be lovely for your family.

Snorkelling from the resort is best from the island resorts. Try Treasure or Mana (Castaway is also fantastic but not low budget and snorkelling from Plantation is ordinary in comparison to these). In addition to the above, there are several lower budget family resorts throughout the Yasawas that would meet your brief.

There aren't many family options on Taveuni but one we have previously considered for a family holiday was Paradise Taveuni. It doesn't have a beach as such but does have deep water swimming & snorkelling off the jetty.

Eden Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

Thanks very much everyone for the replies. I must admit I had previously looked at Blue Lagoon so might re-consider. Does anyone know if you can get from Wananavu to Blue Lagoon? We may consider 5 nights at each to get a different perspective?

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

You can get a seaplane or go back to Denarau & catch the ferry.

Eden Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

Thank you, I have e-mailed a few seaplane companies.

Eden Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

Hi KLH75, which did you prefer out of Malolo & Mana? We are considering splitting some time at one of those or Treasure as suggested by Tez823 with maybe 5 days at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

We've stayed at both Treasure and Malolo and I would pick Treasure as the best - especially with older kids. We found Malolo lovely but very "uptight" with rules & expensive with absolutely everything charged as an extra.........

The Entrance...
Level Contributor
495 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

Hi Christinebob, I actually preferred Mana over Malolo, as we too found Malolo a bit uptight and the beach at Mana is far superior. Having said that the resort at Mana is very run down and I wouldn't spend more than the basic room cost as the rest of the resort just does not justify the higher cost, in my opinion. Malolo had far superior rooms and resort buildings/pool etc but the basic room cost was double that of Mana. Food, drinks and water sport costs were about the same on each. Blue Lagoon (and Octopus it's sister resort) offer much more value for money but they do have the set meal times and menus (with no alternative) that some people might not like, we travelled as a group of 8 (4 adults and 4 kids, aged 6, 9, 10 and 12) at the time and didn't have any probs. Kristie

Eden Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family holiday for snorkelling/diving

Thank you. Finally narrowed down to Paradise Taveuni or Blue Lagoon. Some dive sites don't seem to mention Yasawas but say Taveuni is the soft coral capital of the world, sounds very enticing. Appreciate the feed back from everyone.

Get answers to your questions about Taveuni Island