We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving after Cyclone Tomas

Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Topic
Diving after Cyclone Tomas

I have been getting reports regarding cyclone damage (from operators in the hardest hit areas), and I'm happy to say that most damage has been confined to areas more shallow than 20'. There some staghorn and table corals have been upturned or broken, but most reefs have weathered the storm well and the vast majority of areas reported on are still great dives! One benefit of the storm seems to be that while visibility is down plenty of nutrients have been stirred up and the marine life is abounding!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving after Cyclone Tomas

Thank you for the update!!!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving after Cyclone Tomas

Very good news indeed that most of the reefs weathered the storm well. 1FourFun, sent you a private message.

Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving after Cyclone Tomas

I have not received a private message, so it may be lost in the ether...

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving after Cyclone Tomas

Any idea what the state of snorkelling is like around Matangi Island after the cyclone?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving after Cyclone Tomas

Hey FijiDiveGuy - E&C sent the PM to me, sorry for the confusion. BTW, Great Traveler's List on diving spots in Fiji - thanks!

Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving after Cyclone Tomas

That makes more sense - I must have been having brain clouds. Here's the update from Matangi regarding snorkeling. “Our dive crew have done a preliminary check on the state of the corals on the fringing reefs that surround Matangi, Qamea and Laucala islands following Cyclone Tomas. The reef areas in shallow waters that were exposed to the Cyclone have suffered some damage to the more delicate corals however we are fortunate in that the surrounding islands also provided much shelter to many other areas that were not affected.” Matangi is currently closed for cleanup after the storm, but is scheduled to reopen on 04 April.

7. Re: Diving after Cyclone Tomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 29, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Taveuni Island