We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

Calif,USA
2 posts
Save Topic
What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

We are visiting in August and are trying to decide where to stay on Taveuni. We are not interested in the fancy resorts, but just want a comfortable clean, budget type room for 3 adults. We want to sight see and snorkel. Won't be spending much time in room. Should we visit different parts of the island and move to different accomodations every 2-3 nights or spend all the time in one location as far as rooming? Also was considering staying a couple of nights near SavuSavu, do you recommend this? What excursions or day trips do you recommend for people who want adventure without too much hiking (miles of walking or wading thru muddy rivers)? I am so confused and have read so many things and haven't found my answer so far, please help! Does anyone know anything about places like Suzie's Plantation Resort , Vuna Lagoon Lodge, or Vatuwiri Farm Resort? Or is this too remote of a place to get around and see the whole island? Would near the airport or Garden Island be a better choice? Thanks soo much for any help!!!

Mentioned in this post
Savusavu
Savusavu
Vanua Levu, Fiji
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

jsknutsen,

Taveuni is a beautiful island. There are so many things to do. There is Bouma Heritage Park, there is great hiking at the park. You can do the Lavena Coastal Walk, go to the International dateline, there is a natural water slide, go to the mountains and go hiking, diving, and snorkeling. The hiking mentioned is not a ton of hiking. Susies just was changed to Paradise Taveuni. They have renovated it, it is more upscale now. I have not been to the other two resorts you listed. Are you renting a car?

katt

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Taveuni
Paradise Taveuni
486 Reviews
Taveuni Island, Fiji
Calif,USA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend renting a car, or is the transportation by taxi or bus more reasonable and accessible? We are open to that idea as well. What do you think about staying at different locations, and which hotels are reasonable(US100.00 or so)? Thanks for the advice on activities.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

You can definitely get around and see Taveuni island in 8 nights. It is a beautiful place with lots of things to see and do. You may want to try the Coconut Grove Resort. It is near the airport and is a very central location to both North and South Taveuni. The place is a beautiful location, and you will find basic but beautiful accommodations there.

We also took a look at Paradise Resort (formerly Susie's) and had lunch there (in late May 2007). It was a beautiful location and perfect for snorkling and scuba diving. It is on the far south side of the island - very remote but gorgeous. A combination of these two resorts might be a great way to go.

Relax and have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

Hi,

I spent time in Paradise Taveuni - used to be Susies Plantation Resort. It has the best snorkeling and diving I have done in Fiji. Right off the marina and snorkel ladder at any time of the day. The new owners are renovating the resort so the rates are not as high as other places of the same standard. I would rec. staying for 2 -3 nights to experience the south end of Taveuni. See the southern blow hole and dive and snorkel from theboat on Vuna reef.They are the only ones doing this at this end of Taveuni. Wish I was there now instead of freezing cold Oz!

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Taveuni
Paradise Taveuni
486 Reviews
Taveuni Island, Fiji
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Annandale, VA
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

Make sure to take a trip to the Waitabu Marine Park for the best snorkling.

This is a park set aside by the local villagers to promote reef health, and a visit there is highly encouraged. They rely on a few tourist dollars to help keep the reef safe, and also to keep them from having to fish the reef for food. They have done some giant clam reintroductions, which is neeto, as giant clams were becoming scarce. You can easily find the giant clams between coral heads, and look at them up close! They are worth the look.

The villagers are wonderful as well, and if you're lucky, the ladies will make tea and cake for you for when you're done with snorkling.

Bouma Falls is also wonderful, but give yourself enough time (and energy) to hike to the second falls.. it's a brutal climb if you're in a hurry, but worth the effort.. such lushness. And look out on the side of the trail for the purple crabs! Interesting and they did us no harm.. you have to ask yourself, being way up in the jungle, what crabs are doing there in the first place, let alone purple crabs!

And religious or not, make every attempt to go to the Catholic mass on Sunday morning... you will never hear singing like you will hear at this mass. I'm pretty sure angels from heaven could sing no more beautiful a song..

Portland
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

Hi, was reading replies to your post. Did you find any good Taveuni accomodations in your price range? Around $100US. Thanks. -John M.

Mentioned in this post
Annandale, VA
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

We had a package deal with Garden Island Resort on Taveuni - I think it was $2500 for a week of diving, lodging, and all meals. This also included airfare from LA. You might try Garden Island Resort themselves and see what their rate is.. I liked the resort and the people were really great.

There is also a colony of large fruit bats in the tree outside the dive shop at the resort.. they leave promptly at 6:30pm for their night adventures, and return about 3am. They were extremely enjoyable to watch!

Mentioned in this post
Garden Island Resort
Garden Island Resort
262 Reviews
Taveuni Island, Fiji
Portland
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

Thanks for the info.We're actually looking for more affordable lodging, just lodging not a complete food/dive/lodging package, in the $75-100US range per night for two on Taveuni, if anyone has info. Thanks. -JM

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:50 pm, August 23, 2007
McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do with 8 nights in Taveuni-Help!

You might check out the privately owned listings on vrbo.com. They tend to run a lot less and will give you a break if you stay longer. Also you could look into the backpacker shaks if your willing to rough it a bit.

Get answers to your questions about Taveuni Island