We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hassle Namma Bay?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
149 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hassle Namma Bay?

How does the hassle/attention from Egyptians shop/bar owners compare to resorts in Turkey?

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

Hi Vickers40

Not been to Turkey myself, but hassle in Naama is pretty bad. I have been to lots of sooks in Tunisia over the years and the Egyptians are worse.........

I personally avoid Namma preferring to stay In Sharks Bay and go into Soho Square.

Hope this helps

NaNa

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

Hi vickers40

I and in sharm at the moment at go to Naama each night, I would say the hassle is a lot less this year than previous visits

I can honestly say a have not had a problem, a polite no thank you and walk on

Karen

North Walsham...
Level Contributor
872 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

Having been to both, I think there's not a lot in it. As Karen said a polite no, or I find totally ignoring them works better.

Galashiels...
Level Contributor
109 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

I really didnt think the hassle was that bad being a single female. Sometimes it became annoying, but i just kept walking. I find being constantly asked for a taxi more annoying!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

In twelve years of travelling to Egypt I can honestly say I have not been hassled. I always go B&B so I'm out in Naama bay every night. Restaurant owners are persistent but I find a smile and firm no does the trick.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
770 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

Been Turkey and it is worse than in Egypt. A firm no thank you or LAA SHOOK-RAN (no thank you in Egyptian, say it as I have written it) works well. Just remember if you let 1 shop owner drag you in the next shop owner will try to get you in too so don't let the 1st one drag you in!!!

I have had no issues but being an 18stone Asian with a bald head and killer stare (and knowledge of Arabic) May help!!!

ENJOY IT.

1Baloo

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

Thank you, you have put my mind at ease if it's no worse than Turkey (been many times), as I am going with my 3 daughters (20, 18 & 12 years old) who love to shop and a husband who doesn't like shopping or being hassled!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
770 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

HA HA HA, bet he is looking forward to it! With 3 girls in tow you can expect a bit of hassle but nothing like the touchy feely types you can get in Turkey.

You'll love it. Just remember LAA SHOOK-RAN (no thank you) and for the hubby WAA-HID BEER-RA SHOOK-RAN (1 beer please!).

1Baloo

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

Personally I find it worse than Turkey. I go with daughters similar ages to yours and I find we get a fair amount of hassle. We are always polite and say no thanks if we don't want to go in the shop but it's very hard to browse unhindered. Some of the shopkeepers can be quite persistent but I guess if you have been to Turkey you are pretty well prepared.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,221 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hassle Namma Bay?

Having been to many places in Egypt & Turkey, we find the hassle worse in Egypt altho steps were taken, last yr, in Sharm, to improve this. It was hoped that it could be brought more in line with Turkey, in that shopkeepers/bar owners were allowed only to the edge of their frontage. It was also hoped to impose fines/close for a few days/close for a month etc penalties, like Turkey, for those who flouted the rules. It's probably been delayed now, since it was all proposed befor the upsurge in problems last July.

regards

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh