We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Injections

Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Injections

Do you need injections to travel to egypt/sharm? how long before? And its free to get into the country isnt it no visa needed unless im planning on visiting cairo

Burnley UK
Level Contributor
378 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Injections

Free if staying in Sharm. Injections etc are better off being discussed with your GP

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,848 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Injections

See the second Top Question on the right of the forum screen.

UK
Level Contributor
268 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Injections

Were due to travel in 5 weeks had drs today which I booked weeks ago they recommend hep a and typhiod which on the phone they had plenty of to get there and be told they have none so do check with gp.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Injections

Recommended vaccinations are dipyheria, tetanus, polio, typhoid & hep A. There's still a shortage of typhoid but oral version is ok for some. If you don't have recommrnded jabs & then develop one of those diseases,your travel ins may be invalidated. Some are 2-part vaccinations, with a wk or so inbetween, then you need 2 weeks more to develop optimum immunity.

Visas needed to visit Cairo, Luxor or Ras Mohamed park within the Sharm area (by land or boat)

There are the Top Q, over on the right of the page that cover such questions, as well as the tips thread, above all others.

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Injections

There are no compulsory injections needed for Sharm. A UK doctor will quite happily give you jabs however, especially as it's a nice little earner for them. I've even heard that people have been advised to take anti malaria tablets which are totally unnecessary for the location.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Injections

Pillyafc, no compulsory injections, yes technically you are correct, however as previous posters have stated, your travel insurance will probably be invalidated if you contract an illness that may have been prevented by having the injections.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Injections

There have been cases of typhoid in Sharm & Taba; see search engine for previous threads. The injections are free in most areas of England (not in Scotland or Ireland). I'd rather be safe than sorry :-) & I'm mindful of the insurance aspect.

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Taba
Taba
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Injections

I've checked with my insurance each of the last eleven visits to the Red Sea. There is no requirement. It amuses me to see people swimming off some the filthy beaches in the UK then become paranoid when travelling to the Red Sea. You'd think you were travelling to deepest Africa!!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Injections

Maybe your ins has no requirement. You've made an informed choice & others should do the same. Some ins companies do make the stipulation.

Typhoid can, & has, cropped up in Spain, Italy & Greece.

Some of these diseases are spread by carriers & nobody can know what personal hygiene routines the staff & fellow guests follow! As I said, typhoid has been contracted in Red Sea resorts.

Regards

Edited: 2:47 pm, January 16, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
coventry
Level Contributor
2,725 posts