We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM and tipping

London, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
ATM and tipping

Hi

I've looked on the tips thread and other threads about this but still have another couple of questions...

I was planing to take a few Egyptian pounds and get more out there. I've seen you can put English money into ATM's and change it for Egyptian, however can you withdraw cash, is it safe to do so and is one place better to do it than another as this would be easier?

Also, would you tip at an all inclusive resort?

All-inclusive hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Steigenberger Alcazar
Steigenberger Alcazar
#1 of 33 hotels in Nabq Bay
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
Stella Di Mare Beach Hotel & Spa
#2 of 232 hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Rixos Seagate Sharm
Rixos Seagate Sharm
#2 of 33 hotels in Nabq Bay
wales
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM and tipping

Hi was in happy life dahab 2 wks ago very easy to put English pounds in atm and also used card no problem,was all inclusive and did tip staff were fantastic.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM and tipping

Yes can withdraw money off card. However exchange rate from your bank will be not as good

And if you get good service then tip

London, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM and tipping

The exchange rate won't be any worse than exchanging in the uk will it? Only I don't fancy taking much cash with me

Nottingham
Level Contributor
386 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM and tipping

The exchange rate was slightly better when we were there 2 wks ago.

However in an AI you don't spend much other than tips and everywhere else takes sterling.

You aren't going to save very much if you just take 2000le.

I tipped the better staff quite well but not as much as I would in places like Spain.

Edited: 2:01 pm, November 03, 2013
La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM and tipping

The exchange rate is always a little better in Sharm but it depends how much you are changing whether it's worth it I suppose. I always take sterling and change over there for a better rate .If you use sterling over there, you will not always get the best deal when buying something. Try to use LE( local currency) and always tip in LE.

Tipping is not compulsory; I only tip if I feel I have had really good service.

London, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM and tipping

Hmm I'm not sure what to do with money now. We are in am AI resort although would like to wander into sharm on an evening for a few drinks if we want, are they better to buy in sterling?

Haven't check out rate yet so not sure how much 2000 LE is, how much is ok for a tip?

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM and tipping

The exchange rate in Egypt is approximately 10% better than in the UK. That is about 200le, which at current exchange rates is about £20. To me, £20 is well worth saving.

As for tipping, in my very honest opinion it is far far worse to over tip, than it is to under tip. Over tipping leads to increased expectations, and demands.

Edited: 7:18 am, November 04, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Tycroes, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM and tipping

I felt that in the current travel situation it was far more essential to tip, and tip as well as I could. On an AI holiday I am happy to tip staff who provide good service,they inevitably do, and it is our way to show our gratitude.....I have always, since a Nile Cruise 8 years ago, been very aware of how little salaries are, and how much Baksheesh is relied on...although my late father was clear about this in 1945 so not much has changed! I have never had tips demanded of me. When it boils down to it, 100 Le is huge in Egypt....what does £10 buy here? The exchange rate is better in Egypt and well worth taking enough for first day or so, then use the ATMs. Be as generous as you are comfortable with....... I'm sure many will disagree, but that's just the way we have always behaved, regardless of where we go....and if service is terrible, that reflects on tips too!

Edited: 3:09 pm, November 04, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM and tipping

Thanks for all your replies, most helpful

10. Re: ATM and tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh