We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

Liverpool
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

Hi

I have found out today that Thomas cook are cancelling some of their Egypt Holidays due to a recent increase in disturbances and attacks a lot closer to Sharm than the originating problems!!

We are due to go in 10 days time with Thomson and I have spoken to them about any new problems. They are not aware of any changes to foreign travel advice for Egypt. I have checked the Government website and that doesn't show any changes either.

Does anybody know about these problems and why T.Cook are cancelling??

Am getting a little concerned now!

Thanks

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

Where did you see this as I hope Thomson dont follow suit as I am due to go in 6 weeks.

The foreign office are still saying its safe to travel so maybe they are cancelling because of low demand for holidays in the next few weeks?

Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

Are you sure it's because of the disturbances and not because it's winter as I have read on coral sea waterworld people saying there ain't as many flights going from some places because of the winter . Where did you see this . Thanks I'm due to go out in two weeks .

hornchurch
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

can I ask where to you hear that Thomas cook are cancelling flights to Egypt. Am due to pay a balance soon on a Thomas cook holiday to Egypt and am trying to find out info on this.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

I think the OP has heard about Thomas Cook selling its Egypt and Lebanon operations which will affect people living in those 2 countries not people going TO them.

There was an article in the Telegraph today.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

I think you'll find they are cutting back on flights due to low demand (was in the national press a few weeks ago). From a business perspective, especially with Thomas Cooks financial difficulties, it doesn't make sense to run none profitable flights.

Level Contributor
279 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

Thomson still definitely still flying

Liverpool
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

hi

My friends sister is a T.Cook Travel agent, and she knew we were going to sharm so she got her sister to let me know. My friend says it's because the disturbances which are only 100 km from sharm.

I will see if she can find out more info tomorrow. I don't like the uncertainty of it all

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

Seems like scaremongering. Thomas cook will start reducing flights to Egypt on the basis its quieter in the winter months. Plus they are struggling financially and have already stopped the majority of there long haul operations

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

Doesn't seem like scare mongering, it is!! Not sure why people enjoy making things up.

Level Contributor
279 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Security Changes Sharm el Sheik???

Glad people are expressing there concerns with valuable information in this unsteady worrying time. Too many people trying to sweep stuff under the carpet and accusing people of scaremongering

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh