We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

underwater cameras

liverpool
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
underwater cameras

just wondering how much underwater cameras are in sharm and best place to get one going sunday and staying in the concorde el salam only done snorkelling once in cuba bought my own mask and snorkell .

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: underwater cameras

Depends on the quality of the images you want really.A £4 point and shoot disposable film camera will give horrendous results,a £6000 outfit will give you pro results if you know how to use it (its not that easy).Everything in between will give varying results depending on what it is and how it is used.All in all a very hard,if not impossible question to answer.Camera equipment in Egypt is roughly the same price as it is in the UK.

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: underwater cameras

I bought a Samsung Digital underwater camera from Currys about 3 and a half years ago for £120. It's brilliant. The underwater images are great (my profile picture was taken with it while I was snorkelling in Thailand) and it's still going strong. If you need a decent digital camera I would recommend doing that!

Currys have plenty to choose from, at many different prices currys.co.uk/gbuk/…xx-criteria.html

Edited: 4:58 pm, September 23, 2013
La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: underwater cameras

If you want a decent underwater camera, I would buy one before you go from somewhere like Currys or Amazon as mentioned by Global Jules. Alternatively if you have a camera already, you could buy an underwater housing for it.

You can buy the cheap underwater disposables in Sharm for a few pounds but as Mr Small says, they are fairly useless.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: underwater cameras

I think I would go much further and say that the diposables in Egypt are completely useless. If you are just doing snorkelling, then one of the waterproof digital cameras by Samsung, Nikon, Panasonic, or Canon will do the trick nicely.

UK
Level Contributor
261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: underwater cameras

We bought a vivitar underwater camera from tesco a few years ago for £50 was bright yellow Incase you drop it it stands out took great pics and videos :)

liverpool
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: underwater cameras

thanks for the info guys just gonna take a go pro hero3 underwater camera/camcorder

sth yorks
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: underwater cameras

we bought one from Tesco a few weeks ago.....was cheaper than amazon...its bright yellow so you cant loose it in the water :)

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: underwater cameras

I vote for an aquapac everytime....lets you use your own (presumably half decent) digitial camera underwater. Have used it in Maldives, Sharm, Caribbean and always had good results:

ifsogo.com/travel-accessories/waterproof-cas…

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: underwater cameras

Aquapac are ok, but if you go must a depth of 2 or 3 metres, because they are a glorified plastic bag, the water pressure could press all the buttons simultaneously lol.

Tycroes, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: underwater cameras

Have used a vivitar underwater camera which was v cheap and works really well. It is battery hungry though, also flirted with much more expensive masks that take pictures.....difficult to focus, although that might just be our eyes, but thought that, overall for value for money Vivitar was best.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh