We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

get from sharm el sheik to petra

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Topic
get from sharm el sheik to petra

I will be flying from cairo to sharm el sheik in august and plan to spend a few days in sharm (see st. catherine's and hike mt. siani)...since it is right across the red sea, i want to visit petra for two days...what is the best way to get from sharm to petra...my research shows that you can catch a ferry from nuweiba to aqaba, and then take a bus petra...has anyone done this recently...also how do you get from sharm to nuweiba (would this be something a hotel could arrange for me) thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: get from sharm el sheik to petra

Take a bus to Taba and cross over into Eilat. At the boarder take a taxi to the Israel Jordan boarder crossing (about 15 mins) Take a taxi to Petra. It's about a 2 hour journey but taxis in Jordan are cheap. Negotiate the price in advance. It's wise to stay in Petra for at least 2 days as the cost of admission is 90 dinar for a day trip this drops to 60 if you stay overnight.

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: get from sharm el sheik to petra

Thanks for the reply helers. Does the ferry from Nuweiba to Aqaba no longer run, or is it just completely unreliable? Also will most hotels set up this for you. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Nuweiba
Nuweiba
South Sinai, Egypt
Aqaba
Aqaba
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,543 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: get from sharm el sheik to petra

Hi,

It's not very reliable.

Regards

Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: get from sharm el sheik to petra

Thanks for the response Nephthys. Would this bus trip be something that the hotel could arrange, or is it best to go through a tour agency?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: get from sharm el sheik to petra

clexi, The Nuweiba to Aqaba ferry is unreliable, having said that it is a while since I did it. However there is another ferry from Taba to Aqaba I don't know if this is any better but it would appear to be the choice of the day trips from Sharm to Petra so presumably more reliable.

your-guide-to-aqaba-jordan.com/aqaba-ferry-t…

This company does day trips from Sharm but IMO it is a very long day and the beauty of Petra is walking down the Siq early morning before the Bus Loads arrive and your first glimpse of the Treasury . As I said above the entrance fee is reduced if you stay in Jordan overnight and it would be a shame to travel there and not also visit Wadi Rum.

aquabluesharm.com/petra-tour/petra-bus-ferry…

There are busses from Sharm to both Nuweiba and Taba and your hotel will be able to help you with timetables etc.

Mentioned in this post
Nuweiba
Nuweiba
South Sinai, Egypt
Aqaba
Aqaba
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Philadelphia...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: get from sharm el sheik to petra

Thanks so much for all the information helers. I have been looking all over trip advisor and travel sites in general for it.

7. Re: get from sharm el sheik to petra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 20, 2014