We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

Broadway, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

Hello :)

It's my first time in Egypt soon staying at the iberotel palace with my partner. Very excited minus the risk of being poorly. He's been twice before to Sharm and been fine but I want to be clued up in order to avoid any illness!

So does anyone have any tips on trying not to get sick at all? Been seeing Antinal pop up a lot is it best to buy this over there and start taking this even without being ill in order to prevent it?

Bought Imodium but seen this probably won't even work on Egyptian tummy? Also stocked up on rehydration sachets and anti bacterial hand sanitizer.

Is there any foods anyone would recommend not eating that could cause this?

I can't think of anything worse than being ill on my one holiday a year that I so look forward to!!

Also any info on Iberotel would be appreciated :) reviews on trip advisor all look fab. Am I right in saying also that there are two buffet restaurants included in AL and then the Italian that you get one free visit too but then you can also get money off if you use this again? How much cheaper is it if so?

Also I would love to take my SLR camera as I'm a photo-holic! Is this advised? My partner says I'll just get hassle from locals trying to buy it?!! Would appreciate others options.

Thank you

Sophie

Cairo
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

I've been living in Egypt for almost 2 years now. Antinol is definitely your best bet, Imodium and other international brands don't seem to work as well. It is available at all pharmacy's here and cheap so just buy it once you arrive. I'm not sure if it really works as a preventative, we usually just take it at the first signs our stomach feels a bit off. But antinol doesn't stop things from moving (if you know what i mean) like Pepto/ Imodium, it works on fixing the bugs inside, so it takes a few days to fully clear things up. While taking the antinol your bathroom visits will slowly get less and less frequent.

As for avoiding it altogether, it can be really hit and miss. You can eat at the same restaurant 3 days in a row and be fine twice but get sick the third. The hotel food should be safe. When eating out things like salad are more likely to cause you problems because the veggies were most likely washed with tap water. The fresh fruit juices are also usually made with tap water. There is a great drink called lemon mint, basically lemonade with fresh mint leaves. Most people can handle this 1 even if tap water was used because the lemon helps neutralize.

Sorry i don't know anything about the iberotel. Take your camera, a lot of tourists have SLRs now a days so it's not as if you will be the only one. Plus they are probably just trying to joke with you, it's like the typical selling someone for 500 camels. Play along and give them a ridiculous price. It makes it more fun for both of you instead of feeling annoyed.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

Well firstly, you've chosen a super hotel -pics under my profile. No one knows what causes the tummy problems, you can eat exactly the same as someone else and only one get it! I've not avoided anything, I also eat local food at the restaurants. Please read the Tips at the top of the messages and the questions in blue down the right hand side of the page, all the info you will need is there. Yes Antinal is what's recommended, it's cheap and there are pharmacies on the doorstep to your hotel.

There'll be no problem taking your camera but lock all valuables in the room safe when not in use, just as a precaution. There are so many photo opportunities in Sharm. enjoy

Regards

barbarah

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

We started using Bimuno pastilles a week before we went and whilst we were there. Had no tummy troubles and I am immunosuppressed.

england
Level Contributor
685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

Susanjll

That's what I'm going to do, I've also started taking Acidophilus. Fingers crossed it all works. I've got 3 weeks left before we go.

Broadway, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

Thank you for everyone's very helpful advice :)

Colchester...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

Wash your hands every time you handle the money, it's really dirty

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

I use my SLR all the time in Egypt and have never had any hassle or anyone wanting to buy it. Take it and get lots of wonderful photos- on my first visit I took so many I had to go and buy a new memory card in Sharm !

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
455 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

Hi Sophie

I went to Sharm for the first time 3 weeks ago for 12 days and I was there only one day before coming down with Pharoahs revenge. It didn't leave me for the entire duration of the holiday. I had only eaten in the hotel once and it was only chips so it wasn't that. I had antinal and it made things alot better for 3 days (luckily whilst I went to Cairo on the coach!) but it came back.

I went with my husband and 2 young children and they were all ok.

I got on the plane and shared a row of seats with a man that was also suffering and he'd had it for 6 days and must have used the toilet about 6 times during the flight home. He had my sympathy.

Can't explain what it was. It was 48 degrees when we went, maybe the weather had something to do with it?

Just to let you know that I was stupid not seeing a doctor as I understand I should of gone on a drip at least to rehydrate me.

Hopefully you will be fine.

Broadway, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

Thank you for these further tips! Really hoping I don't get it!!

essex
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberotel Palace Info & How best to avoid Egyptian Tummy

I've been several times to Egypt and have always had an upset stomach.....avoided ice, salad, etc. I have found taking Antinol as soon as i get an upset stomach brilliant. Infact stomach problem has only lasted 24 hours. I would never be in Egypt without it. You can get it in the local pharmacies for about £2. It's never stopped me from going back and we are going again this year. Have a great time.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh