We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving costs in Sharm

London, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Diving costs in Sharm

Hi all.

Am planning to do a bit, or a lot or diving in Sharm, this September, pending on cost. Will be staying in Sharks Bay. I understand a lot of the hotels have 'in house' dive centres. Has anyone any advice on a reputable centre, along with rough costings for some form of multi-dive package.

Although I'm not travelling on a shoestring, I preferably need somewhere with an inclusive price of weights,tanks, transport etc. to help with budgeting.. might also need a refresher dive, as haven't dived for 2 and a half years. Any help /advice / suggestions greatly appreciated.

Happy travels.

staffs
Level Contributor
861 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

Contact Sinai Divers(on facebook or e-mail) they will send you a price list,hubby dives with them twice a year when staying at Hilton Sharks bay,they will collect you if you are at another hotel.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

Hi Gary, personally I would do the refresher in the UK, do you really want to be doing fin pivots, if a pod of dolphins, or a school of barracuda, or even a couple of sharks appear, no I thought not. Neither would I !!!! I note that you are from London, there will be loads of dive clubs in that area, also the scuba review is pool based, so you wont need a drysuit. The dive school I would have no hesitation suggesting is Emperor Divers, however Sinai Divers, and Oonas divers seem to get rated highly as we'll.

What I would do is email all the above, with your requirements and I'm sure they will come up with a package.

Edited: 4:07 am, May 04, 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

Yes, a lot of the hotels have 'in-house' dive centres; but most of the reputable, long-established dive centres have transport and will pick you up from your hotel and take you to their centre or the port, and return you, at the end of the day; so there's no need to book with an 'in-house' centre, unless you are just wanting to do some shore diving.

Some of the dive centres that are well- regarded by UK divers are: Emperor Divers, Sinai Divers, Oonas Dive Club, Camel Dive Club, Red Sea Dive College, and Ocean College Dive Centre.

Most of these centres do dive packages, which include weights, tanks, transport, soft drinks on the boat etc. I am diving with Oonas Dive Club next month and have booked a five day package for €199 (about £170) and a trip to the Thistlegorm for €120. By the way, it is cheaper to book online before you go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

Thanks to you all. It's reassuring to see the same names come up in all replies.(always a good sign)

Thanks for tips on refresher dive in UK, and for pre-booking online.

I shouldn't wish my life away, but roll on September.

Thx again

PS...Is the Thistlegorm accessible to a standard Open Water level diver..or is it WAY down.!!!!

I've heard a lot about it

North Walsham...
Level Contributor
888 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

Thistlgorm is at 30M, and is classed as suitable for AOW or equivalent. Best dived with Nitrox too. Some dive centres will take the money and take OW divers.....

You have time to do the AOW before you go - it's worth while. A lot of the dive sites are more suited/accessible to Advanced.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

Hi Gary I agree with volleyball ref. Thistlegorm is considered an advanced dive, however if you are in Egypt for two weeks you have plenty of time to become an advanced diver. Even if you are only there for a week doing this course would be an exceedingly good idea, mainly because for 5 dives it will put you in the direct company of an instructor. Also as volleyball ref said it does open up a lot more dive sites.

If you are there for two weeks, and do the AOW course at the beginning of the first week, then do 3 dives a day, in my opinion only, you should be able to do Thistlegorm. Obviously you need to discuss this with the guide/instructor at the time.

Make sure you get good quality dive insurance, such as that from DAN, or Divemaster insurance. Both these will insure you to your qualified depth, or deeper if with an instructor.

Edited: 2:11 am, May 05, 2013
Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

Lots of normal travel insurance travel policies also cover you,for diving,to your qualified depth.I used to have special dive insurance but found out I did not need it and it was more expensive than the adequate travel insurance I already had.Gutted.

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

As for the cost of diving,it varies,some centres have seasonal pricing and do special promotions in their "off" seasons,Colona are one of these,there busy time is during the winter because that is when their customer base of Scandinavians all go on holiday,in the summer their trade dies and they have a long off season where you can get great deals on diving,last year it was something like £26 a day plus free nitrox,I also heard emperor where doing a 5 day package for £100 but could not confirm it.So shop around,the deals are out there but as always only go with reputable outfits.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

Whilst I tend to agree with Mr Small about insurance, Im personally qualified to 40 metres, and I have never found a general policy that covers you to this depth, usually the cut off point is a strictly enforced 30 metres. I paid about £30 for 12 days cover with Divemaster. This covered the whole holiday, I also have an all risks home contents insurance, this gives much better protection for expensive cameras etc than any holiday insurance.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving costs in Sharm

I think Thistlegorm is about 30m at its deepest, and best dived on nitrox. It's well worth doing; I've dived it about six times and never tire of it; i love the history surrounding it and always seems to find something new!

I agree with the others that it's worth doing the AOW; it will give you more choice and flexibility.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh