We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Training for half marathon - Running in Sharm - Is it safe?

Shropshire, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Training for half marathon - Running in Sharm - Is it safe?

I am in training for a half marathon, and want to carry on my training whilst in Egypt.

Can anyone advise where I can run, and if it is mainly roads, is it safe to do so?

Also, am I likely to be stopped/pestered into shops running around Sharm?

I'm staying at the Holiday Village from April 28th for 10 days, so i'm looking at doing around 6 - 10 miles every other day in the vicinity of the hotel. Is there enough beach to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Luke.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Training for half marathon - Running in Sharm - Is it safe?

We saw many people running along the promenade that runs alongside the beach at Naama bay at the back of the hotels. There is also a central reservation with a gardened area and pavements either side that runs all along the main road in Naama bay, you could run along both, starting at the furthest end of the promenade from Naama Bay and running into Naama Bay proper, then running up to the main road and running along the central reservation out of Naama Bay until you reach the very furthest hotels.

My daughter is a runner and it is a circuit she would favour.

It is perfectly safe.

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Training for half marathon - Running in Sharm - Is it safe?

I run when out in Sharm and have never had a problem,the locals look at you as though you are nuts but apart from that and always being on the side of the oncoming traffic I have had no issues.The surfaces do leave a lot to be desired but I find the roads the best.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Training for half marathon - Running in Sharm - Is it safe?

Just remember the heat, take extra fluids with you or after the run

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Training for half marathon - Running in Sharm - Is it safe?

As Mr Small says, the paths can be a bit bumpy and kerbs can be a bit high or non existent so I would run in the road, taking care to keep out of the way of the crazy Egyptian taxi drivers !

5. Re: Training for half marathon - Running in Sharm - Is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 05, 2014