We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

Ramsbottom England
Level Contributor
31 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

I have not been before and someone suggested you need beach shoes, neoprene or similar for snorkelling in the red sea. Are they necessary?

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,981 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

I always use them, your feet are protected, just in case you stand on something. The sand isn't soft to walk on in most bays, plus you are not allowed to wear sandals/flipflops along the jetties and believe me the plastic ones can get very hot. However, you can wear beach shoes, they are not expensive.

Regards

barbarah

Ramsbottom England
Level Contributor
31 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

Thanks for that, just have to find some now as off on Saturday!

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,981 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

Don't worry, there are plenty out there if you don't get them before going

staffs
Level Contributor
860 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

Got mine from Blacks retail,dont know if you have a local one or as Barbarah says get some from there,plenty of availability in Sharm.

London, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

I got mine from sainsburys. Tresspass also do them. And if you want ones for kids, check out next they have aqua shoes, plain ones for older boys and funky ones for little ones

Gloucestershire UK
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

Buy them in Sharm, they are on sale everywhere, a couple of years ago they were £3.00 a pair.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
445 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

I have always used coral shoes (Cressi), for snorkelling in shallow areas. People should not use flippers in shallow reef areas, as it can damage the coral, so coral shoes are ideal. Have fun.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
844 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

The wearing of beach shoes for snorkelling? many people use them for walking on the coral which is a NO NO. The wearing of flippers in either shallow or deeper water needs care & consideration for the coral. One of the worst things I`ve seen is divers at 5-10 metres depth being careless with oversize flippers near the coral. You go to see the fish & coral ,be careful as other people coming after you will want to see them too!!

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

Buy them over there, we got some excellent ones in Soho Square on our last visit - very light, flexible and quick drying. You will need them.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
445 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach shoes needed to snorkel in sharm?

May I add that I was not advocating the use of coral shoes for walking on coral, rather for being cautious and protected, both in and out of the water. Hope this clarifies.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh