We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for learning to dive

London
Level Contributor
129 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for learning to dive

Hello everyone.

I am staying at the rixos for 10 days in march. I am interested in taking a diving course. Can anyone recommend a good place which is Cosby to the rixos and how long the course is for beginners? Also, how many hours is the course daily? How much does it cost? Is it easy to get to etc etc.

Thanks a lot

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

Don't worry some are harmless after almost 200 dives in the Red Sea I only once had an encounter with sharks, here is the report: www.scubadviser.com/destinations_1.aspx…

London
Level Contributor
129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

great report. However, you are quite the adventurous type to go sarching for sharks. I'd be the opposite and probably start flapping around in a panic!

North Walsham...
Level Contributor
864 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

I was fortunate enough to have an oceanic white tip swim by while diving in Sharm a couple of years ago, what a great experience http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cxs-z5Y1xA

Don't worry, encounters with sharks in sharm are very rare - and after you've been diving a while you'll probably want to see one

England
Level Contributor
708 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

Hi

Scuba Diving is far more likely to kill you than any shark.

Here's a few nasty things that can happen to divers..

1) Drowning - Suffocation as you breathe in water

2) Barotrauma - Your lungs over expand and burst or ear drums can implode etc..

3) Gas embolism - Air under pressue is forced into your blood causing a heart attack.

4Decompression illness - Can appear after a dive and and can kill or paralyse your legs for life.

5)Nitrogen Narcosis - Can stop you thinking clearly so that you do something stupid and drown.

6) Gear failure - You can suddenly lose all of your air at depth when part of your gear suddenly fails and drown. (Having personally had an o ring burst underwater and see my air rapidly escaping, I can confirm that it is alarming)

Hope this helps.

Ian

staffs
Level Contributor
861 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

Ian,Paul says your such a drama queen lol, If you thought like that you would never cross the road,travel in a plane etc!!

North Walsham...
Level Contributor
864 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

Ian - he's interested in diving, don't scare him off before he even starts to enjoy it...

England
Level Contributor
708 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

Hi

A drama queen - hopefully not too much - lol.

Just trying to put the danger of being devoured by a hungry Shark into perspective.

Scuba is certainly not risk free and correspondiingly, quality training is essential to mitigate the level of risk.

Ian

Edited: 3:33 am, February 13, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

Hi,

I also put a question on recently for first time scuba as I'm off to sharm in 4 weeks and want to have a go at the old scuba, well following some good advice from Steve Kent I did a try dive last Wednesday with divers unlimited.

Absolutely flippin loved every minute of it and have now got the scuba bug, just hoping I will be ok doing it in the sea and not just the pool!

A lovely lady called sue was my instructor and she was fab, totally recommend doing this before you go. I am going to book a discover scuba with colona divers.

Good luck with your diving and have a great hol!

North Walsham...
Level Contributor
864 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

FeeJay - Have a great time, I've dived in quite a few places now and still come back to Sharm. Trouble is, scuba is very addictive so you'll be planning your future holidays around the question:

"Is scuba diving available?"

staffs
Level Contributor
861 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Recommendations for learning to dive

Worst present I ever got my hubby was diving lessons,now cant go on a holiday unless blooming diving is available lol.I May suggest a cruise round Iceland next and tell him they do diving there,bet he wont fancy that,!!!

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh