We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear

Merseyside
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear

Hi everyone, I've read a lot about how western women a perceived when in Eqypt and I am aware that covering up is porbably best when out there in certain locations. Can anyone advise if this is the case in Sharm? Im staying in Sharks Bays and not planning on going too far afield. Thanks

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
351 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear

sharm is very laid back that way its not like other places in egypt !!

outside the hotel in public areas the more conservative u dress the less attention u'll get .

not suggesting u cover urself head to foot lol , there are plenty of girls who walk around in hot pants and mini skirts to deflect most of the attention away from sensibly dressed woman .

saw a russian girl cross the main road to get to our hotels beach in a bikini , there where taxis and service buses screeching to a halt to watch her !! .

first time i've ever seen traffic stop to let someone across the road lol .

Merseyside
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear

Hi,

thanks very much for your reply, thought this would be the case, its my first time going to Sharm so just thought I'd check before I pack my shorts and skirt!

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear

Just be sensible and don't wear anything too skimpy unless you want lots of stares and attention ! Cover cleavage and don't wear anything very short, otherwise it should be ok. In the Top Questions on the right of the forum, there is a useful one about what to wear, also in the Tips and General Advice at the top of the forum.

My teenage daughters like to wear shorts all the time and don't like skirts or anything longer ( despite my requests to cover up) so I spend my time swatting away various Egyptian young( and old) men when we are out !

4. Re: What to wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 13, 2014