We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

The Foreign Office website has had Egypt noted as a high risk for terrorist attacks for approximately the last 20 years but the warning was often “lost” amidst the other information on that page.

In light of the general unrest, in the Middle East & Arabic-speaking countries, in the last few years, please keep an eye on the link when deciding whether to book a holiday to Egypt.

You should take out comprehensive travel & medical insurance before travelling.

fco.gov.uk/en/…egypt

Please also note the Disclaimer by the Foreign Office:

fco.gov.uk/en/…disclaimer

The purpose of FCO Travel Advice is to provide information and views to help British nationals form their own judgements about travelling to or operating in a particular country. While every care is taken in preparing FCO Travel Advice, the FCO do not assume any responsibility, including legal responsibility, to those who read the Travel Advice and who may choose to take it into account when making any decisions relating to a particular country. Neither the United Kingdom Government nor any member of British consular or diplomatic staff abroad can accept liability for injury, loss or damage arising in any respect of any statement contained in FCO Travel Advice.

(end quote)

BRITISH NATIONALS CAN REGISTER WITH “LOCATE” THROUGH THE F.O. WEBSITE WHEN PLANNING ANY TRIP ABROAD; it’s free.

fco.gov.uk/en/…

Stay safe :-)

75 replies to this topic
La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

Hi Nephthys

Great post and really useful for travellers to the area. Good to advise people re the " Locate" service too.

RG52

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

Just a quick amendment to the above, and one i think is really important to clarify, you should actually take out comprehensive travel insurance when you book your holiday, not before travelling. Then should you need to cancel your holiday you are covered, as long as it's for a reason thats covered that is!

If you wait and then become ill you will lose your money as you can't then insure yourself, it's too late.

And it's not just you being ill and not being able to travel, it's deaths of family members and things like that which could happen at any time unfortunately causing you to cancel.

Now off you all go and book your Egypt holiday!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

Thanks lesley150 :-)

CAIRO BY BUS

At the moment bus trips to Cairo are still running. However, many tour operators in Sharm now prefer to offer the trip by plane as the bus trip prices rose due to petrol shortages out there.

According to the FO (I emailed them for clarification; contact details are on their website) if you plan to visit Cairo by bus, then talk to the tour op about security & safety procedures they have in place & ensure you have valid insurance, taken out in the UK; don't rely on insurance out there & go in a large, organised group, with a reputable tour operator. (Regular posters have previously highlighted that there are some illegal local tour ops out in Sharm, who will show fake papers & even some legal ones may not have adequate insurance cover.)

ST. CATHERINE'S

Trips are still running there, by local tour ops. As the UK FO specifically mentions that as being off-limits, for now, then anyone deciding to go will likely struggle if there is an insurance claim, as it's doubtful one would be honoured with the FO's current wording.

As I said, the contact details for the FO are on their website; anyone who wishes to discuss any aspect of the current situation can do so by emailing them, just as I did. There is a phone number but they can't say any more, over the phone, than is on their website.

Regards

wilmslow
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

I am an annual traveller to the Red Sea and have worked in the Middle East as a health worker . Loved diving Dahab last year and taking the family to Sharm . The new government and their propensity to support Hamas makes me decide not to travel to Egypt for the forseeable future . I certainly would not take my family there . I look forward to a better future as I love Egypt , but not as an anti Western state .

wilmslow
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

Yes you can have the holiday of a lifetime but for 20 years now I have read the travel warnings and the warnings about political unrest etc etc . I was there during the Luxor attacks too , lets just give it a miss till they sort out their country ?

alderney
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

london has been on alert for a lot longer than that bet london has had a lot more bombings than egypt over the years and lets dont forget about the roits that uk had dont care what anyone says you can go to london tomorrow and a bomb could go off (hope not) or anywhere in the world im off to egypt in jan and unless the fo says i cant go and the travel company cancels my holidays i will still look forward to my holidays some people make egypt look bad but what ive read on here its not that bad the way i see it the people in egypt have no ploblems with us ok egypt has ploblems so does uk and im sure they will sort themselfs out im sorry if i upset people thats the way i feel

alderney
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

teddy68 i think people can make their own minds up they dont need you to say lets give egypt a miss i noticed a lot of people on here did not even know that there was trouble there untill they got home soplease dont scare them im sure if it was that bad in egypt the fo or travel companys will let us know

wilmslow
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

Sorry , not meaning to be alarmist . I do have faith in the security there and the F.O hence frequent visits . Had the family there when Mubarak was ousted and had the best time ever . I merely take issue with the direction the new regime is taking them .

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

I'm in Sharm at the moment and it's very safe... I'm not sure about Cairo though.

Cambridge, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

I'm going to Sharm on 11 Dec for 9 days and I am really worried about what I just read in fco.gov.uk/en/…egypt

Is it really safe?

Reply to: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh