We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
248 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

Air - £140pp - too pricey for 5ppl

Coach is £40pp - but some say the journey is taking 8+hrs due to security checkpoints etc.

Is it worth doing via coach as opposed to not doing cairo at all??

on a side note, can we do Cairo by air (£70pp) and then do the rest without a tour guide? or is a tour guide recmended as we're only there for a day?

Edited: 8:40 am, November 11, 2012
1. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, November 12, 2012
Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

Hi there

I did the coach trip and it took 6 hours, but of course there weren't as many road blocks as now. The trip was well worth it, however the FCO are advising against travel in Northern Sinai so your insurance could be null and void.

If you do the trip, ask relevant questions, will it be an a/c coach - not mini bus, will the guide be fluent in English, will there be a majority of English speakers on board, all relevant questions.

As you suggest, book a flight with Egyptair, putting your country of origin in as Egypt. You can find guides on the Cairo forum. Doing it this way you will decide on your own itinerary, which can be a huge bonus. You could also find a taxi driver at Cairo airport and hire him for the day, most taxi drivers will be knowlegable, make sure you have a good guide book as well.

These options will be dearer than the coach trip which will include entry fees and lunch!

Regards

barbarah

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

As barbarah as said, if you do take it by coach at the moment (and I doubt the situation shall change soon). Your insurance will be invalidated.

Best bet is to go by air, it may cost more, but it will be safe

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

..............& self-promotion's not allowed, either. Plz don't do it, Lucy.

Thanks & regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

Barbara, I am curious - why when booking an Egyptair flight should I put my country of origin as Egypt??? I am looking to book internal return flights from Sharm el Sheikh to Cairo for a day trip as part of my forthcoming holiday to Sharm over Xmas/ New Year. I have been on the Egyptair website and did two searches for the flights - one with my country of origin as Egypt and one with my country of origin as UK. I had to get a friend who can read Arabic to assist, as when I put my country of origin in as Egypt the website was in Arabic - but in terms of prices, the prices were exactly the same, no matter what my country of origin was.

As an aside, I have been researching prices for private day trips to Cairo by air and have found that if I book my flight independently via Egyptair and arrange a driver/guide myself to meet us at Cairo airport, it is far cheaper than booking the whole thing with an agent/ tour company.I have emailed several tour companies and none of them could get me the flights I wanted as well as a driver/ guide cheaper or even at the same price than I could book it myself. I also do not want to get up at 4.30am to get the first flight out to Cairo!! They offer several morning flights out of Sharm. Egyptair offer a 'flexible' fair (slightly more expensive than the cheapest economy fare) which means that you can cancel your your flight up to 24 hours before you fly and get your money back, or even change your flight to another day/ time (which will help if one of us comes down with the dreaded stomach bug!). Has anyone else booked a trip to Cairo independently rather than via a tour company/ agent???

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

The Egyptair site doesn't normally revert to Arabic when you put Egypt as country of origin, so don't understand that! Usually the prices are cheaper, perhaps they've cottoned on - we've advertised it too much, maybe! Lol

I haven't done the trip independently but apparently it's lot cheaper booking this way and of course the main benefit being you see exactly what you want to see and not papyrus and perfume shops! Though I really enjoyed my trip I definitely would have booked this way had I been going with company but with one person it wouldn't have been economical. There are very good guides recommended on the Cairo forum or pm KAZL2000 she very knowledgable on this, I'm sure she wouldn't mind. Companies in Sharm I don't think offer this, they wouldn't make enough money!

Just to add, lots of forum members have done it this way in the past, lets see if any answer this thread, otherwise try the search box above for previous answers

Edited: 7:02 am, November 12, 2012
Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

The Egyptair site doesn't normally revert to Arabic when you put Egypt as country of origin, so don't understand that! Usually the prices are cheaper, perhaps they've cottoned on - we've advertised it too much, maybe! Lol

I haven't done the trip independently but apparently it's lot cheaper booking this way and of course the main benefit being you see exactly what you want to see and not papyrus and perfume shops! Though I really enjoyed my trip I definitely would have booked this way had I been going with company but with one person it wouldn't have been economical. There are very good guides recommended on the Cairo forum or pm KAZL2000 she very knowledgable on this, I'm sure she wouldn't mind. Companies in Sharm I don't think offer this, they wouldn't make enough money!

Just to add, lots of forum members have done it this way in the past, lets see if any answer this thread, otherwise try the search box above for previous answers

Edited: 7:02 am, November 12, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

Thanks Barbara - definitely going to book flights independently and will be brave and get a driver for the day at the airport and just be armed with a good guidebook! We definitely do not want to be taken to any perfume or papyrus shops! We have travelled fairly extensively and always toured cities independently, so hope we can face the challenges of Cairo. I will research old threads, as you suggested, to try and ascertain what I should pay for a driver for the day.

Cape Town Central...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

barbarah hi...u currently in Sharm? im flying in coming weekend 15 november 2012 and would luv if someone can show me around...visiting some dive spots, etc...from ur pic i take it you are a keen diver yourself?

let me know pls!

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharm to Cairo by Coach - mid Dec

Hi Crazy

Yes, that's me diving but unfortunately no sub aqua only snorkelling, which is really frustrating, having said that, I'm quite happy seeing the small pretty fish!!! LOL No, I'm not there at the moment, beginning of Dec for me hopefully. Please read the Tips at the top of the messages and the questions in blue down the right hand side of the page, lots of info you will need is there including maps

Mr Small another DE on the forum is a keen diver and knows the best spots, if he sees this he'll give you recommendations. My favourite for snorkelling is Fanar Beach, if you look at the maps, it's the beach in front of the Reef Oasis Beach and Iberotel Club Fanara, it's called Temple for divers.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh