We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best currency to tip in

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What is the best currency to tip in

I have heared that most of the tummy problems here come from money, is other currency acceptable for tips?

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
899 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

The cheapest currency: Egyptian Pound. Give them £1 and its worth 10 Egyptian pounds, so you are giving them far too much. I understand that Egyptians get paid better in the tourist industry than if they worked as, say, a doctor, as a result of the tips foreigners give them.

As for tummy problems, yes, it is rampant in Egypt. I would regularly use antibacterial wipes and hand gel but even that is no guarantee that you will not fall ill-we took precautions and still fell ill out there.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

We have always used one dollar notes for tips

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

Thankyou. Do you know what caused your tummy problems? Was it the food or something else. What precaution did you take? I've been told not to eat outside the hotel and use their medicine, is there anything else you recommend

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

Thankyou. Any recommendations for the inevitable tummy problems.

scotland
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

Wishyouwere,

Hi, I am no expert in Egypt as I have never been but looking at past posts on here some people say that it is the change of food along with the alcohol and too much sun that can give some a tummy upset. I have not heard anyone say about not eating outside the hotel.

I suppose if you keep you'r hands clean at all times, watch you dont over do the food, alcohol and sun and dont drink the tap water then you are doing the best you can.

As for the tips, I plan to tip in their currency as they wont have any problems trying to change it.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

We tip in one dollar bills ... 60p

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
265 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

Tip in LE not English pounds as they struggle to change them, we have been to Egypt many times and have been ill once, avoid ice cold drinks as the temperature inside your body compared to the temperature outside causing sickness, don't drink alcohol in the sun all day, brush your teeth in bottles water, most importantly hand sanitizer use all the time especially after handling money, buy the little bottles of gel that dry when you rub your hands. Eat where you like don't be confined to your hotel you will miss the amazing flavours and people of the country :o)

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

Thankyou. We haven't been to Egypt before, we are going for Christmas and new year. Looks lovely. Looking forward to the snorkelling.

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
265 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

Ooooh jealous it's fab we go back in may, the snorkelling is amazing aswell!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,221 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the best currency to tip in

Hi,

If you look over to the right of the page, there are the Top Q. One is about currency & tipping, there is also one about tummy troubles.

Regards

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh