We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women tourists in Egypt

leamington spa
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Women tourists in Egypt

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some advise and tips for Travelling to Egypt. I am planning on going/staying in sharm el sheik with my boyfriend hopefully within the early months of next year.

However I have a few safety concerns being a young female and having heard some of the horror stories. I don’t like the idea of being harassed by locals all though I can see from my research you cannot really avoid it completely.

I just want some tips of what sort of clothing to wear when I will be out of the hotel grounds and when travelling the pyramids and other attractions. I want to come across as respectful to the locals. Also as I stated I will be with my partner does this make any substantial difference at all in being harassed less? Would it be seen as inappropriate if we were to hold hand etc.

Thank you for any tips and information.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

The less skin you show the better. In Sharm it doesn't make so much difference since this is a tourist resort, they are more used to it. But when out and about in Cairo it is better to wear long sleeves and trousers, this will also keep you cooler.

Having your BF with you or a cheap decoy engagement/wedding ring on your finger might deter them a little but it will not stop them. They will offer him camels or a million dollars for you. It's not menacing or scary, just playful banter really, the worst it will be is a bit annoying, and they will stop if you tell them to.

leamington spa
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

Thank you that’s very helpful. I am going to learn some of the language to for "No thank you" and "enough" as ive heard this can be of help with dealing with some of the aggressive locals.

I am planning to take a long (maxi) dress and skirt and something to cover my arms to the elbow.

Would it be a bad thing if my boyfriend was to get protective? (In a polite but strong verbal way) or is it better recieved for it to come from me do you know?

Thank you again for your feedback.

USA
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

The clothes you describe sound appropriate. One note on skirts, though, it's best if they are long, because it is WINDY out there! You won't need to fuss with it if it's long :) My personal clothing rules when in Egypt are don't show upper arms/shoulders, knees or cleavage, and nothing too tight. My husband is Coptic Egyptian and these guidelines have his stamp of approval :)

If your BF gets (verbally) protective that's totally fine IMO. I haven't really had much happen that way, but when it does, I just look at them with an expression that says "EXCUSE ME??? You just did WHAT??" and it's followed by my husband ranting in Arabic at them, and profuse apologies from anyone that's standing there. Mostly it's been a random guy trying to "pinch and dash". Nothing scary or harmful. And it happens to Egyptian women too. Hasn't been much of an issue with me personally, but we're not on the tourist track too much.

Hand holding is TOTALLY FINE. We do it all the time, and me taking his arm as well, or our teenage son or daughter. Very common there, no worries!

It's a marvelous place, and if you go with the attitude that it's an adventure, and any unplanned surprises will make for a great story later (they do!), you'll be all set :) I'm going back in Nov and I can't wait! Have fun!

leamington spa
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

Thank you very much! I won't let what i see on the televisions put me off such a great experience. Its somewhere I have always wanted to visit as the history and culture just fascinates me.

Bexley, Kent
Level Contributor
813 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

I am 20 and went alone for 16 days to Egypt in March this year. I see the hassling as a jokey conversation, nothing to make me feel uncomfortable.

The Egyptian shop keepers seem to just want to laugh and joke with you. Just say no thankyou and move on and its unlikely you'll have any problems. If you do go out alone at all you will get a lot more attention more so than with your boyfriend but its all friendly :)

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

I don't think your BF needs to get aggressive verbally or otherwise, and nor do you really. If you do receive unwanted attention then 99% of the time it is joking around and if you take it as such you will have a much better time than if you get upset. For my ex I managed to haggle one of the guys up to 300 camels, a million dollars and a swap for his mother. Mostly they are just doing it for a bit of fun and to practice their English. If you're not in the mood for banter or on the rare occasion that they do take it too far, then a simple no or "la shukran" will suffice, and if it does not then "please go away".

I would recommend a fake engagement ring, you can pick up a cubic zircona for a few quid. And you can use it to prank your friends and family when you get home ;)

USA
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

I agree with chesebrgr, certainly if there is only playful banter or a persistent sales pitch, there's no need for anyone to get upset. I haven't really encountered any thing unpleasant in that way in Cairo. Not even much sales hassle really.... I think when I read the reference to "horror stories" I assumed the OP meant the groping that sometimes happens. Oops! That's a different matter :)

Have fun on your trip!

Mansoura, Ad...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

Egyptian people are the most respect and kind people in the world .and when you come to egypt you will find this country is the best country all over the world :)

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

Yes, I went there alone in April and didn't really experience any hassle. Unless you count being told you're beautiful.

Cairo, Al Qahirah...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Women tourists in Egypt

Egyptians love foreign people and they just want to say welcome in their way as joking but they will not do any harm for you

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh