We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is it like Dec/Jan

Greater London...
Level Contributor
25 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
What is it like Dec/Jan

Hi we're thinking of booking to be in Sharm for Xmas and New Year. Need answers to a few questions as have never been to Egypt before and usually go to Florida/Caribbean this time of year (but budget considerations need to be made this time!!).

What is the weather like this time of year. Will it be warm enough? Are the hotels over run with Brits and their offspring? We're looking at maybe going to Club Magic Life is this more for couples as advertised on the Thomson's website?

Any info would be welcome.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,920 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

Hi,

If you look under the Top Q, down the right side of the forum, you'll find one on Xmas & New Year & another on weather, plus lots more info.

We have been several times, for Xmas & NY & enjoyed it. Weather is mid 70s in the day but cooler at night & a layer or 2 is needed, especially over in Nabq where it can be windy (Magic Life is up that way; resortmaps under Top Q too).

Lots of general info here too & links to pics around Sharm:

Link to the Tips & General Advice “Sticky” thread at the top of the forum (with a little orange pin icon at its side), above all other topics. The thread is now in alphabetical subject order for clarity.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297555-i9225-k3…

If you wish to avoid lots of families, of any nationality, then consider B+B or HB as families will tend to go AI.

Regards

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

Hi,

I've been this year in Sharm in New Year Eve and it was great. You have to remember that Egyptians don't celebrate as European and for them it is not so important day but they did everything the best they could for tourists.

Weather is perfect for us as being European. The temperature during the day was about 25 deegres of Celcjusz so easily you can go in swimsuit but in the evening it was about 18-20 and it was windy so long sleeve is needed. But fo sure weather is suitable to rest down and lie down all day on the beach and you do not feel that hot like now f.e.

Next advantage is that hotels aren't full as now but you cannot avoid the presence of Russians, unfortunately:(

If any other questions, please write.

Regards,

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

Hi were thinking of going for xmas.Can any one reccommend a good hotel that celebrates christmas .Also will the resorts be roughly the same temperature.I have been told the sealife resort in nam bay is good and they make an effort any one been there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about the budget considerations.

I wish you could afford to go to florida / caribbean,

yours sincerely,.......... a brit and his offspring.

ps i hear there is a lot from another nationality that go to your hotel, ............be careful what you wish for.

weather is mid 70's.

Ray

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

Weather's just perfect ;))).

Lovely and warm with lots and lots of pure sunshine !!!!

We're going for our 4th Christmas........ Best time to go imo - 2 weeks out of the English winter weather - is a plus !!!!!

**** Hi Ray**** No doubt we'll catch you again ;))

London, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

Hi DCL

I'm sure we will bump into you along the prom as you stagger along in your micro mini and stilletoes having drank the ghazala bar dry, i think you should take things a little easier these days at your age.

Ray

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

.......... You forgot.......... pushing the pushchair ;)

London
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

Maybe you should try somewhere else if you do not like Brits and their offspring...........................................Presumably Leicestershire is a Brit and their offspring free zone ?

Perhaps give this year a miss and save up and go back to the Caribbean and or Florida in Dec 2012 with all those quiet well mannered, shy retiring Americans

Edited: 1:21 pm, September 18, 2011
SURREY
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

all the hotels make the effort over the christmas new yr period everywhere is decorated and they go all out to make is a special time for holidaymakers i would imagine all hotels give gala dinners for christmas eve and new yr but having said that i found that they make new yrs eve just that little bit more special but the food is 2nd to none there is loads of it its buffet style but there is everything u can think of its a lovely place to be at christmas this will be our 3rd christmas there we go to the royal savoy in sharks bay sharm (adults only) 3 heated pools and private beach think there are about 10 resturants some in the hotel and some in soho sq which is part of rs and savoy( children allowed in this part of the hotel )

there are shops resturants bars musical water fountains marble floors cobbled roads duty free (which should be visited within 48 hrs of being in sharm dont forget to take passport)

im sure whatever hotel u choose u will have a great time

merry christmas

xx

weather is good during the day about 25 degs but can get chilly of an evening cardi maybe needed im a cold person but a cardi is fine for me

10. Re: What is it like Dec/Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 19, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh