We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currencey, lets get it right.

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleethorpes
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Currencey, lets get it right.

I've been banging my head against a brick wall now for a few hours trying to work out what to do about currency.

1)Take Debit Card.

2)Take travellers cheques.

3)Take English pounds.

4)Take Egyptian Pounds

Here are my thoughts on these alternatives, if I am getting this wrong would someone please correct me.

If I take my debit card to get cash from the ATM's in Sharm am I getting the Egyptian rate or the one my bank currently has at home? and I will pay the compulsory charge for the priveledge.

Never really got on with travellers cheques...too much messing about, and believe me I will spend all of my money so the advantage of being able to return the travellers cheques is lost on me.

As I see it taking English Pounds is the best way for me to go, as I will know exactly what I am getting for my money, no charges..

The rate over here for Egyptian pounds is very poor, someone said you can get 10.5 over here but I'm yet to be convinced by that one. Travelex seem to be one of the best at the moment.

Thoughts anyone?

Alan..

England
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Currencey, lets get it right.

best to take sterling and change in the hotel or banks out there, it is true you do get a better rate.

or new out you could take an amex travellers cheque card;

you top it up before you go and can withdraw the money from an atm, can only top up euros and dollars at the moment, but you can change the dolloars or euros there, cos bettter rate.

minimun on these cards is £200 worth or euros or dollars and max is £3000, can reload it as much as you like and it's guaranteed commission free for life. there is a one off fee of £20 to get you started. visit a thomson travel agent and they'll get you sorted. it gets delivered to your home address within 3 to 5 working days.

have a fantastic time money spenders.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Currencey, lets get it right.

Don't mess with the travellers checks. Bring cash from home and a debit card. Exchange your money in Egypt!

Portsmouth UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Currencey, lets get it right.

Unlike Sherif - I also found that some places were happy to take Euro coins as well as notes.

If you want to take a debit card then make sure it is a Nationwide debit card - they give you a better exchange rate AND they don't add any additional charges like most other banks do.

kent England
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Currencey, lets get it right.

Hi

if I was you i would take english money as we did in august you get a better rate in egypt. We took £100 in Egypt money and the rest in english we had a bank in our hotel and changed it up there.

Hip Hop

London
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Currencey, lets get it right.

or has anyone else of been to Eygpt around the above times of the year i.e Nov, beginning of Dec?

this will be greatly apprepriated.

Sharm EL Sheikh
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Currencey, lets get it right.

beter u come with cash

dont come with travel cheque as when u change it they will get commession

good bye

mamado

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Currencey, lets get it right.

Lonsun... just bring sterling cash and your plastic friend. The bank at the Nuweiba Hilton is open in the evening when you shall be arriving and they can give you cash on your cards as well as change money. Failing that, there are three ATMs at Nuweiba Port - 5 mins drive away or 20 mins walk, ( by the duty free shop where you can buy spirits and that if needed and which can be bought within one day of your arrival ).

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Currencey, lets get it right.

I forgot to mention that the weather should still be sunbathing weather but get up early as the day begins around 6.30 a.m.and ends around 4.30 p.m. You may at times find it chilly at night so bring a spare pullie and / or jacket.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh